Thread: Helloes from Gianluca, in Italy (starting with LF)

Helloes from Gianluca, in Italy (starting with LF)

Ciao to you all.

I am back at photography after decades: I quit years ago and never resumed following my ex-girfriend throwing my Nikon gear on the floor...
    In truth I eventually got occasions to use digital machinery (as an amateur astronomer, I use dedicated cooled cameras; and I used other digital cameras for sporadic family ceremonies).

But I got biten from photography again, unexpectedly and abruptely: digital imaging is fantastic, but it's with film photography that I really feel I'm doing photography.

Past year, after a few 135 rolls, I tried 6x6 with a Hasselblad 500 C/M, and 6x7 with a Pentax 67: even if I adore 6x7, today I factually use 135 mostly with "bring me everywhere" small cameras, and I feel at home with the 500 C/M.

In the meantime I started studying in a more formal and methodic way, and immediately I have been attracted by LF. So, I have bought a Wista 45 SP that I use as the "larger than usual bring me anywhere" camera.

I rate my results as just modest, but maybe I am getting a bit better (or, at least: a bit more aware of what's happening...) at developing and at composing: hope to get better results with time. Later this year we'll starta few maintenance work at home, and that will be occasion to reconfigure a bathroom as a darkoom (also for printing).

Recent unplanned purchases have been :a Cambo Legend 5x7 that I took for its larger format and larger movement: I plan to use it sporadically, mostly for architectural; I took it also because these are not much frequent and was at a good price point; pity is that I cannot print 5x7 plate film.

A camera that I hope to get soon and that I hope that I'll use as frequently as possible is a 8x10 low-budget 3D printed camera. I chose this as since the beginning my interest was for 8x10 and larger formats; these cameras are quite large, heavy, costly and challenging, so I want to try with the 3D printed camera to at least experiment and to better understand if I am worth this step. Time will say... in a few months.

Thanks for accepting me in this forum: happy to share this passion with you all (even if I am just at the beginning level...).

G.

Re: Helloes from Gianluca, in Italy (starting with LF)

Tin Can

Already sounds like you're well on your way down that slippery slope! Welcome to LF and these forums.

Well, we understand why she is your ex girlfriend!

Shooting 8x10 is a lot of fun. Composing an image on that big ground glass is a joy. Welcome to the forum. We are glad to have you!