Thread: Help with Filters

Help with Filters

Greetings All,

I'm trying to figure out what to do about a hood and filters for my 4x5 Calumet CC-401 kit. I've spent some time on this forum and other sites learning about various Series filters, but I'm not really finding a solution. I'm looking to use red, yellow, and maybe other filters for black & white.

I have three lenses. One is easy; it takes 58mm screw-in filters. The other two aren't threaded for filters.
    • One is a 90mm f/6.8 Wollensak Raptar; its lens barrel has a 32mm outside diameter.

• The third one is a pre-1914 Voltas 8x10; its lens barrel has a 56mm outside diameter. If I take the front element off and use it for one of the convertible focal lengths, I'm really at a loss for a filter solution.

Twenty years ago, I had a neat solution. A company named SKB in Great Britain made a bellows lens hood that mounted to a ring that had three nylon screws that gripped the lens barrel. I sure wish I still had that.

Any suggestions to this once-again noob would be appreciated.

Best,
    Jim W
    jimwlouavl.com
    IG: @jimw_lou_avl

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

Re: Help with Filters

Jim - Toyo View makes compendium hoods for its 4x5 and 8x10 cameras. The 180-626 (8060) Pro Compendium Hood, includes 3", 4", 5" gel filter holders and the 180-623 (1660) Pro Compendium Hood (for 4x5 field cameras) with 3" & 4" square gelatin filter holders. I have the former and use it with the 4x5 and 8x10 monorails and 8x10 field. You might be able to rig something up to attach it to your camera. Here's a picture of the 8060: The top center screw screws into a receptacle on the front standard and the screw on the left allows the hood to be extended out along the extension rods. I bought mine from KEH in "EXC" condition for around $60.00.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/12286574087...8f22a6fad6e62c

Thomas

PS: The filter slot visible at the front of the hood measures 5" across.
    Last edited by tgtaylor; 21-Jul-2021 at 10:15. Reason: PS

I'm facing a similar issue. Cokin still has a universal adapter ring with screws like you described for their x-pro series holder. It looks like a few other brands / systems used to have similar adapters but have discontinued them. I'm a little surprised that something like this isn't more common. Maybe SK Grimes can fab up something.

I was also looking at the Toyo shade (I actually have a Toyo camera so it would be a direct fit). My concerns are:
    1. It's $500 new
    2. It sounds like 3 or 4 inch filters need adapters which might be missing if bought used
    3. They only talk about using gels with it, I'm not sure it can take resin or glass, and if it will allow a GND to be shifted vertically at the back.

It's designed to take Gel filters. The width of the front channels on the 8060 is about 3mm and it measures ~5.5" in the vertical direction and 5" in the horizontal There is a stop on the left that prevents the filter from going beyond it on the left but no stop on the right. The hood is not designed to rotate and is attached to the front standard by the middle screw.

Thomas

Out of curiosity I took a HiTech resin filter and it fit in the slot. So it looks like resin filters will slide in the 3, 4 and 5" holders without any problem as they are 3mm or less in thickness. Glass filters, which I have switched to, are too thick. However the vertical and horizontal dimensions may pose a problem. For example the Cokin X-Pro filter measures 130 x 170mm which would have to be cut down to fit in the 5" holder.

Thomas

Thanks. I found the Cokin adapter on a vendor’s website. It’s a great solution for bigger lenses but is for larger diameter barrels than I have. The Toyo lens hood is appealing. I think Calumet made one but the ones I see for sale are missing the hardware to connect them to the camera.

I use a NATO rail from small rig screwed into drilled and tapped holes on the top of my front standard. To this I attach a top handle (also from small rig) to which I have screwed a rail block (ebay) that lets me use standard 15mm rails like you would about a video rig with. This lets me attach a cheap fotga matbox that takes 4x4 filters. It works very well, and also gives me a place to mount a wireless transmitter.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mattbox.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	66.2 KB 
ID:	217779

Jim - The Cokin XPro is too big for me also. Years back I switched to the Cokin Z-Pro holder which will take a 95mm adapter ring and step-up rings from 39mm for all my lenses. I keep the holder with all the step-up rings attached in a Lee case I found so I never have to worry about not having the correct ring regardless of the lens. Makes things simple: Just pack the case and take whatever lens you think you will need. I mentioned the X-Pro because those filters are large enough to cut down to fit in the Toyo 8060 hood. If you have a mat cutter you may be able to cut down the resin filters to fit with the glass cutter tool. The Toyo hood will take 2 filters: one in the front as shown and the other at the rear in the slot just visible in the photos

Thomas

Might be worth checking in with Tim at FilterFind -- https://www.filterfind.net/ He's helped me find a host of odd filters and filter adapters over the years. He might have a solution similar to the SKB hood/holder you mentioned.
    Christopher J May
    West Chicago, IL

Thanks for all the ideas and commiserating. I’ve decided to have S.K. Grimes fabricate 58mm filter holders. I shoot mostly black and white so the filters are relatively inexpensive. I found a compendium hood but realized that buying the 4 inch square filters it used would be about the same cost as having the adapters fabricated. I settled on 58mm because that’s what fits the Caltar 150mm without modification.
    Last edited by Jim Worthington; 15-Aug-2021 at 13:16. Reason: Correct spelling