Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Negative Supply LM1 incident meter

Negative Supply LM1 incident meter

Latest from Negative Supply. A small incident meter.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...ight-meter-lm1

Re: Negative Supply LM1 incident meter

Looks like the main functional novelty is including the color temperature capability in such a small package.

Everything seems nice, except the price. Gossen and Sekonic have well proven meters at lower cost, and at much lower cost if buying used. The novelty colour temp feature is nice, but I'm not convinced it's worth paying a premium for.

No flash metering of light or color temperature as advertised ?

Recently got a Kenko KFM-2200, does incident and 1 degree spot, ambient (dome or flat diffuser, this lesser appreciated feature IS important), flash with and without cord. Compact, proven reliable and accurate, proper customer support.

Color temperature meter ok, but does it calculate CC correction filters based on setting the film's spec color temperature (Minolta/Konica/Kenko Color meter IIIF does this GOOD)? Color temperature meters are a novelty unless there is a method and points of reference to make the color temperature information useful and effective to improve print color rendition.

Bernice

I asked Negative Supply a question on their live stream today about accommodating a spectral filter to provide accurate metering for wet / dry plate — something no meter on the market can do — and didn’t get a solid reply.

Being more of a question to see what their depth of knowledge is about the technicals details required for a good meter, I’d say the jury’s still out. My guess is they’re electronic and software savvy, but light on the photonics and radiometry.

Meanwhile I keep forgetting to recalibrate my Gossen Luna Pro F, so I’ve gotten better at just reading it and adding back the “error” plus an extra stop for Lady Luck. >_<
    Newly made large format dry plates available! Look:
    https://www.pictoriographica.com

How difficult would it be to take some silicon sensor based light meter, remove it's spectral compensation filter, replace it with a spectral filter that better fits the needs of wet / dry plate ?

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by Nodda Duma View Post
    I asked Negative Supply a question on their live stream today about accommodating a spectral filter to provide accurate metering for wet / dry plate — something no meter on the market can do — and didn’t get a solid reply.

Being more of a question to see what their depth of knowledge is about the technicals details required for a good meter, I’d say the jury’s still out. My guess is they’re electronic and software savvy, but light on the photonics and radiometry.

Meanwhile I keep forgetting to recalibrate my Gossen Luna Pro F, so I’ve gotten better at just reading it and adding back the “error” plus an extra stop for Lady Luck. >_<

Easier to design into a new meter, of course. Ideally it goes right over the sensor or replaces the UV/IR cut filter which the meter undoubtedly uses. Also need filter factor compensation and accompanying ISO range covering the slow speeds of the alternative process. Making it an option requires some mechanical design and menu settings.

Not hard if you understand the spectral response of silicon, silver halide, etc to pick a filter. Hence a question which gives insight into their knowledge of the underlying physics.
    Newly made large format dry plates available! Look:
    https://www.pictoriographica.com

That meter they are working would have a nice niche market place if they produced a version specific to the needs of wet/dry plate photographers. It would make their life easier and they would sell a significant number of them given the number of wet/dry plate photographers today.

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by Nodda Duma View Post
    Easier to design into a new meter, of course. Ideally it goes right over the sensor or replaces the UV/IR cut filter which the meter undoubtedly uses. Also need filter factor compensation and accompanying ISO range covering the slow speeds of the alternative process. Making it an option requires some mechanical design and menu settings.

Not hard if you understand the spectral response of silicon, silver halide, etc to pick a filter. Hence a question which gives insight into their knowledge of the underlying physics.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I just took a wet plate workshop and at least with Collodian the instructor basically told us that predicting the ISO is a bit challenging when working with one batch of chemicals day to day. It shifts over time and it's best to just do test plates. So would that not be an inherent limitation of a meter?

Quote Originally Posted by sperdynamite View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong but I just took a wet plate workshop and at least with Collodian the instructor basically told us that predicting the ISO is a bit challenging when working with one batch of chemicals day to day. It shifts over time and it's best to just do test plates. So would that not be an inherent limitation of a meter?
    This would be a good question to post in the Wet Plate subforum.