View Poll Results: Which lens would you keep?

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • Nikon Nikkor W 150mm 5.6

6 50.00%
  • Fujinon W 150mm 5.6

6 50.00%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Seeking 4x5 Lens Advice - Which Lens To Keep - Fujinon Or Nikkor 150mm 5.6

Seeking 4x5 Lens Advice - Which Lens To Keep - Fujinon Or Nikkor 150mm 5.6

Helo everyone. I'm seeking some input. I've found myself with both a Nikkor W and a Fujinon W 150mm 5.6 lens (multi coated version). They're both in excellent condition and look nearly new to me. I have no need to keep both and I have no experience with either lens. If you had both of these and had to keep one and sell the other then which would you keep?

Re: Seeking 4x5 Lens Advice - Which Lens To Keep - Fujinon Or Nikkor 150mm 5.6

They would be nearly identical_same. Shutters accuracy, functional aspects, wear from being used are FAR more important than brand.

Pick your preferred brand tribal loyalty then move on. None of this will make one Narry bit O difference in the print results.

Bernice

Personally, I'd keep 'em both as you never know what application might arise someday whereby you'd want a 150. Prices for used analog photo equipment continue to rise as the years pass so, if you sold one, then someday wanted another 150 for some reason you'd probably wind up paying more to replace the one you had. Just sayin...

Quote Originally Posted by hyatts3 View Post
    Helo everyone. I'm seeking some input. I've found myself with both a Nikkor W and a Fujinon W 150mm 5.6 lens (multi coated version). They're both in excellent condition and look nearly new to me. I have no need to keep both and I have no experience with either lens. If you had both of these and had to keep one and sell the other then which would you keep?
    Why not shoot with both and decide which you prefer?

Quote Originally Posted by Bernice Loui View Post
    They would be nearly identical_same. Shutters accuracy, functional aspects, wear from being used are FAR more important than brand.

Pick your preferred brand tribal loyalty then move on. None of this will make one Narry bit O difference in the print results.

Bernice
    I was wondering if this might be the case. The only differences I've been told otherwise were that the Fuji has a larger image circle and "is a 6/6 air spaced lens and the nikkor a 6/4 plasmat. Fuji split the plasmat design apart as they deemed it to be sharper this way." I admit that, while I understand this means the elements are laid out differently, it means means nothing to me practically speaking.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan9940 View Post
    Personally, I'd keep 'em both as you never know what application might arise someday whereby you'd want a 150. Prices for used analog photo equipment continue to rise as the years pass so, if you sold one, then someday wanted another 150 for some reason you'd probably wind up paying more to replace the one you had. Just sayin...
    Considered that also and may well take this advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    Why not shoot with both and decide which you prefer?
    Thanks Bob. It may come to that. I thought people with more experience than me may have some compelling reason why one would be the better choice.

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Decide on the basis of condition and cost. However you balance them. Otherwise, flip a coin… you’ll likely not see any difference.

Nikkor had the reputation of being “more contrasty” than its peers. I’m not sure I could see that and aligned with Schneider.

In case of two similar lenses, go with filter size. If you already have lenses of same filter size as any of the two, or looking to get similar filter-sized lenses, go with that.

It'll avoid you extra costs in the future.

Which version Fujinon 150mm f5.6, as there were two and variants as this basic design was made for decades.
    The inside lettering version advertised a larger image circle (Fuji page previous posted by another LFF member):
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fujinon W_inside lettering.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	71.6 KB 
ID:	217723

Later versions of the "W" had smaller advertised image circle, "EBC" coated and all that (which IMO, makes nada difference these days in real world image making):

Name:	Fujinon Lens data.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	122.5 KB 
ID:	217724

Larger image circle alone does not results in a more desirable lens, it is all a set of trade-offs.

Drop the "shaper" idea-belief as they are Fujinon versions essentially equal. Newer version might have higher contrast under specific image conditions like the Nikkor, but one variable like shading the lens with the dark slide when outdoors or a properly set up bellows shade in studio will very effectively negate these difference. This is due to view camera lenses being designed and produced with fewer lens elements than lenses made for roll film or digital cameras. This significantly reduces the mandate for extreme anti-reflection coatings that are absolutely required for complex roll film or digital zoom lenses and such. Essentially those old ways to digital or roll film camera obsessions often do not apply to this view camera stuff.

As for lens testing digest this link from a previous discussion:
    https://www.largeformatphotography.i...Used-LF-Lenses

Better to make lots of images with both lenses then decide. Identical and consistency is key here.

Best to pick a one lens (IMO, based on condition & accuracy of the shutter), move on.

One more thing, the great view camera lens equalizer is f22...

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by hyatts3 View Post
    I was wondering if this might be the case. The only differences I've been told otherwise were that the Fuji has a larger image circle and "is a 6/6 air spaced lens and the nikkor a 6/4 plasmat. Fuji split the plasmat design apart as they deemed it to be sharper this way." I admit that, while I understand this means the elements are laid out differently, it means means nothing to me practically speaking.

(Shrek)

If you shoot color keep the Fuji. Based on my experience with period 35mm lenses from those makers.

Quote Originally Posted by Bernice Loui View Post
    Which version Fujinon 150mm f5.6, as there were two and variants as this basic design was made for decades.
    The inside lettering version advertised a larger image circle (Fuji page previous posted by another LFF member):

Name:	Fujinon W_inside lettering.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	71.6 KB 
ID:	217723

Later versions of the "W" had smaller advertised image circle, "EBC" coated and all that (which IMO, makes nada difference these days in real world image making):

Name:	Fujinon Lens data.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	122.5 KB 
ID:	217724

Larger image circle alone does not results in a more desirable lens, it is all a set of trade-offs.

Drop the "shaper" idea-belief as they are Fujinon versions essentially equal. Newer version might have higher contrast under specific image conditions like the Nikkor, but one variable like shading the lens with the dark slide when outdoors or a properly set up bellows shade in studio will very effectively negate these difference. This is due to view camera lenses being designed and produced with fewer lens elements than lenses made for roll film or digital cameras. This significantly reduces the mandate for extreme anti-reflection coatings that are absolutely required for complex roll film or digital zoom lenses and such. Essentially those old ways to digital or roll film camera obsessions often do not apply to this view camera stuff.

As for lens testing digest this link from a previous discussion:
    https://www.largeformatphotography.i...Used-LF-Lenses

Better to make lots of images with both lenses then decide. Identical and consistency is key here.

Best to pick a one lens (IMO, based on condition & accuracy of the shutter), move on.

One more thing, the great view camera lens equalizer is f22...

Bernice
    Bernice. What did you mean?
    "...One more thing, the great view camera lens equalizer is f22..."