Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Zone VI Camera Question

Zone VI Camera Question

Hey all,

I found this camera locally and I'm curious what the longevity of a Zone VI camera looks like these days. I understand that the company is long defunct, but with the camera being mostly brass and wood my main concerns would be the bellows and film back. Are these repairable generally speaking? Would I possibly be able to find new springs for the film back if needed (are these a standard part?) same question with bellows...

Anything else I should check on this camera before purchasing it??

Thanks in advance.

Re: Zone VI Camera Question

I've used one of these (hard) since new in 1992. They are quite well built; the bellows are plastic and mine are still as new. The wide angle bellows will come apart where the bag meets the pleated part, easily fixed with Pliobond cement.
    This looks like an earlier version with the narrower knobs on the baseboard, which should make no difference at all. Richard Ritter, on this forum, had a hand in designing and building these cameras and will be able to fix anything that goes wrong. Looks like you'll need a new leather carrying handle, a minor point.
    Of course check it for wear and abuse, but the Zone VI is a rugged, capable camera (mine has paid for itself many times over).

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sampson View Post
    I've used one of these (hard) since new in 1992. They are quite well built; the bellows are plastic and mine are still as new. The wide angle bellows will come apart where the bag meets the pleated part, easily fixed with Pliobond cement.
    This looks like an earlier version with the narrower knobs on the baseboard, which should make no difference at all. Richard Ritter, on this forum, had a hand in designing and building these cameras and will be able to fix anything that goes wrong. Looks like you'll need a new leather carrying handle, a minor point.
    Of course check it for wear and abuse, but the Zone VI is a rugged, capable camera (mine has paid for itself many times over).
    Good to know. The ask is $800 with the 210mm schneider pictured, two film holders, and a copal 0 board. That feels good to me.

It actually has the original leather handle, it’s just not pictured.

Thanks!!

Quote Originally Posted by dbla View Post
    Good to know. The ask is $800 with the 210mm schneider pictured, two film holders, and a copal 0 board. That feels good to me.

It actually has the original leather handle, it’s just not pictured.

Thanks!!
    Good price. Have had a few zone vi over the year 4x5-8x10. All have been built well and never had any issues. The 4x5 still have parts floating around and usually readily available forsale.

I have most of the parts for the Zone VI in stock or the parts can be made. Bellows wear out and are available. The springs if they loss there holding power take them off and reform the springs.

As to the missing handle a cat collar works.

As to how long the camera will last it is around 40 years old and looks as good as the day it was made.
    Richard T Ritter
    www.lg4mat.net

Thanks everyone. This is what I needed to know. :-)

For what it is wort:

I have a 4x5 Wista that was sold by the Zone VI outfit (badged as Zone VI) in the late 1980s before they made their own cameras . Still light tight and working .

I also have an 8x10 Kodak 2D that dates to the 1940s that is still working well.

There are many even older Deardorffs and Speed Graphics still in working order.

The bellows is the part that wears or deteriorates on any view camera with time and usage. The most delicate part is of course the ground glass.

If your Zone VI is light tight and otherwise in good order it should give you many years.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

Wisner also made some of the Zone Vi cameras The on you picture looks much like the Wisner..

Quote Originally Posted by Torontoamateur View Post
    Wisner also made some of the Zone Vi cameras The on you picture looks much like the Wisner..
    It was not made by Wisner. The rails of the Wisner were thicker and the mane plate had Made By Wisner.
    The name plate on the camera shown said made by Zone VI.
    Richard T Ritter
    www.lg4mat.net

Quote Originally Posted by RichardRitter View Post
    It was not made by Wisner. The rails of the Wisner were thicker and the mane plate had Made By Wisner.
    The name plate on the camera shown said made by Zone VI.
    So did you make it? L