Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: extended red sensitivity panchromatic b/w

Re: extended red sensitivity panchromatic b/w

What exactly are you trying to achieve? More separation in the glowing fire? But metalworking shops tend to be dark (if dramatic) and you're going to need a fast film. And some fill light too, if my own experience is worth anything. I did an extended project in a friend's forge shop c.1984, when my best/only option was pushed 35mm Tri-X and a Vivitar 283 flash. Never thought of IR film then, and had never heard of "extended-red" sensitivity either.

Just for kicks you might try a sheet of c-41 in Rodinal to see if you can catch some of the red in addition to a B&W outcome.

come to the dark s(l)ide..... Carsten Wolff's Avatar
    Australia at the moment, Spain or UK one day perhaps

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sampson View Post
    What exactly are you trying to achieve? More separation in the glowing fire? But metalworking shops tend to be dark (if dramatic) and you're going to need a fast film. And some fill light too, if my own experience is worth anything. I did an extended project in a friend's forge shop c.1984, when my best/only option was pushed 35mm Tri-X and a Vivitar 283 flash. Never thought of IR film then, and had never heard of "extended-red" sensitivity either.
    Thank you very much, Mark and others. The reason I asked on here was, because its an 800-k / 500-mile drive (well, I'll be up there anyway) and I won't have the luxury to re-shoot, or experiment) and I wanted real world info. Last time (c .1982) I tried something similar (on 35mm film), the inside of an orange glowing furnace came out as pure black, and I've photographed almost anything but, since, - hence this "once bitten..." post. So, yes, anyway.... I'll try to make extra light for the ambient parts and think that Superpan and TX320 in slow Rodinal will get me there.
    http://www.jeffbridges.com/perception.html "Whether you think you can, or think you can't, you are right."