Thread: Tetenal E6 processing time with Fuji films

Tetenal E6 processing time with Fuji films

I am about to process some Fuji Provia for the first time. I've read conflicting accounts on older posts (over 10 years ago) and elsewhere on the web that Fuji films should be processed 15% longer than Kodak films for the first developer, some say yes, some say no.

This is not mentioned in the Tetenal E6 instructions, though some claim to have seen it on the Tetenal website (which info I cannot find). I tried contacting Tetenal UK, but they are closed for the weekend. Called Freestyle, where I bought the kit, and they said to use the regular recommended time.

Anyone currently using Tetenal E6 with Fuji films? Do you use the recommended times, e.g., 6:30 for the first developer or do you use 7:30?

Also, if you reuse the first developer, do you extend the development time for subsequent uses? The Tetenal instructions don't address this, though Arista suggests adding 4% more time to each use, and Kodak has a recommendation for 30sec additional processing after about 20 films.

Thanks!
    Michael
    Last edited by Michael Roberts; 10-May-2019 at 10:47.

Re: Tetenal E6 processing time with Fuji films

I am mobile at the moment so don't have the Tetenal instructions to hand but they require an enigma machine to decipher anyway and there is some conflicting information. I do recall that the instructions do say to increase FD dev time by 15 seconds for each use and 1 minute extra for CD and Blix after each use.

For Fuji films I have had from various sources the first developer time initally at 7:30. I do this with roll fim but found that for sheet 7 min worked but that might be due to exposure differences with shutters. That's just me and start times are suggested anyway. I think the information for the difference in Fuji films came from testing by Jobo USA.

Also, I have heard that it is important not to mix films, ie Kodak and Fuji together.

Michael,

I use JOBO CPP2 and follow the Tetenal instructions for both Fuji and Kodak E6 films. I have done hundreds of rolls and sheet film and have never had issues with following the recommended time but I do always double the fix time which may not be necessary.

Pali

Never see any info about the fact that Fuji or Kodak films need different process time for E-6.

BTW, a Tetenal E-6 kit consist in 2.5 litres and I think to use it for Provia and Ektachrom I received when I bought my Sinar P last month. I have a Jobo 3010 that can process 10 4x5" sheet films in one time. I read the pdf that say that 33ml is needed to process one. Does it mean that I will use only 330 ml for 10 films and BTW one kit (60euro) allows me to process 75 sheet films?
    Last edited by Blowupster; 16-May-2019 at 07:15. Reason: Mispeling

Quote Originally Posted by Blowupster View Post
    Never see any info about the fact that Fuji or Kodak films need different process time for E-6.

BTW, a Tetenal E-6 kit consist in 2.5 litres and I think to use it for Provia and Ektachrom I received when I bought my Sinar P last month. I have a Jobo 3010 that can process 10 4x5" sheet films in one time. I read the pdf that say that 33ml is needed to process one. Does it mean that I will use only 330 ml for 10 films and BTW one kit (60euro) allows me to process 75 sheet films?

See Jobo e6 manual https://www.mr-alvandi.com/downloads...ess-manual.pdf, p.19

it is also recommended by JOBO USA, see
    https://silvergrainclassics.com/down...pacpp05xdd.pdf
    page 40

Quote Originally Posted by luis-LF View Post
    See Jobo e6 manual https://www.mr-alvandi.com/downloads...ess-manual.pdf, p.19

it is also recommended by JOBO USA, see
    https://silvergrainclassics.com/down...pacpp05xdd.pdf
    page 40
    I would be very careful with 1st developer times. 6min and 30 seconds works great for me with 3 bath or six bath with my Jobo CPP3, and also my Jobo Duolab. When I tried 7'30" reading this same OLD Jobo instructions I had highlights blown out. It effectively raised the film speed by 0.3 to 0.5 EV. Fortunately I was auto bracketing. The slides that were automatically underexposed by 1/2 stop looked the best. Especially when using FRESH 1st developer I would be careful. MHOFWIW, I love reversal film. :-) Mike