Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting back into 4x5 -- Need some Suggestions

Question Getting back into 4x5 -- Need some Suggestions

Forgive me, film gods, for I have sinned. Five years ago, out of an abundance of professional fatigue and shortsightedness I sold all of my film equipment. Well, I have seen the error of my ways and I desire to return to the LF light.

But in all seriousness, I am looking to get back into 4x5. Years ago I shot with a Linhof Super Technika and really enjoyed the "press" style cameras that would fold a lens inside of them.

I'm also considering one of the Chamonix cameras, which are beautiful and I can get one brand new...Specifically, a 45N-2 and probably a Nikkor 150mm 5.6 to get started...

Are there any others I should consider?

I primarily shoot environmental portraiture or really environmental scenes in general. Think Alec Soth with far less talent and Guggenheimery...

Anyway, any guidance would be GREATLY appreciated...I need to find myself some film holders I guess.....

Re: Getting back into 4x5 -- Need some Suggestions

pacemaker speed graphic if you want maximum lens compatibility but somewhat limited movements, crown graphic if you want to go a little wider than a speed graphic at the cost of being limited to lenses with shutters, or maybe a wista d.

You had a Linhof, so why not get another one? They've come down in price in the past few years it seems (used). A Master Technika would be the best one to get in terms of flexibility - having the top flap and tripod mount for using fall with the camera upside down is something I appreciate having. They do have some downsides due to the clamshell design, but using normalish lenses avoids most of those issues (90mm and longer).

Of course the Chamonix is also an excellent camera and much lighter. Easier to use super wides, more flexible in movements, with a small trade-off in terms of zeroing out movements.

You haven't stated a budget. If tight, get an Intrepid Mk.IV and just take a bit more time with setup to make sure you've got good parallelism. And don't drop it. As stated above, a Crown/Speed would be the cheaper clamshell option.

All 4 options above have their own quirks and applications, no camera is perfect.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Foamer

I have a Chamonix 045n and love it. However it's strengths (lens movements, wide range of lens lengths) are things you don't need for portraits. Plus you really can't use a Chamonix hand held. You might consider a camera with a focal plane shutter. You can then use some really cool early barrel lenses (Petzvals etc.) that don't have a built in shutter.

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!

Quote Originally Posted by maltfalc View Post
    pacemaker speed graphic if you want maximum lens compatibility but somewhat limited movements, crown graphic if you want to go a little wider than a speed graphic at the cost of being limited to lenses with shutters, or maybe a wista d.
    Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    You had a Linhof, so why not get another one? They've come down in price in the past few years it seems (used). A Master Technika would be the best one to get in terms of flexibility - having the top flap and tripod mount for using fall with the camera upside down is something I appreciate having. They do have some downsides due to the clamshell design, but using normalish lenses avoids most of those issues (90mm and longer).

Of course the Chamonix is also an excellent camera and much lighter. Easier to use super wides, more flexible in movements, with a small trade-off in terms of zeroing out movements.

You haven't stated a budget. If tight, get an Intrepid Mk.IV and just take a bit more time with setup to make sure you've got good parallelism. And don't drop it. As stated above, a Crown/Speed would be the cheaper clamshell option.

All 4 options above have their own quirks and applications, no camera is perfect.
    Quote Originally Posted by Two23 View Post
    I have a Chamonix 045n and love it. However it's strengths (lens movements, wide range of lens lengths) are things you don't need for portraits. Plus you really can't use a Chamonix hand held. You might consider a camera with a focal plane shutter. You can then use some really cool early barrel lenses (Petzvals etc.) that don't have a built in shutter.

Kent in SD
    Hey all thanks foe the input. I’m not particularly interested in any of the “graphic” style cameras… been there shot that years ago. I do think I need to look into linhofs again on eBay I guess. Probably more cost effective than the Chamonix.

Budget wise I’m looking at roughly 2k or less on a setup. “Setup” being camera, lens, holders, etc….

I bought another Linhof Master Technika last year for $450, including a lens. To be fair, That was a steal from an estate sale, and it has some issues with the bellows. I think you could easily get an MT, 2-3 lenses, and all the necessary accessories for that $2k, and have some left over depending on lens choice.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Depending on why you aren’t interested in the Graphics, one of the Toyo 45A variants might work for you.

I'd second (or third) the suggestion to look at used Technikas. I have an early Master, and I liked it so much more than the Shen Hao that was my first LF camera. Its just so rigid and precise compared to the Shen Hao. I got mine for ~$800. I've since had to replace the bellows, but that wasn't too hard. I now much prefer my Technikardan, which I got for a steal about a year ago, but today that camera used would eat most of your $2k budget.

Foamer

I think the first thing you need to determine is if you will always want to use a tripod or not.

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!

I don't know whether or not you liked the range finder on a Linhof, but you might consider the "Linhof like" Wista SP. It's much like a Wista, except that it's a little smaller. One advantage, it has the ability to use interchangeable bellows. (Bag versus accordion.) It's well built.

I had one for a bit and decided to return to my rail camera.