Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 20

Thread: Getting back into 4x5 -- Need some Suggestions

  1. #1
    dbla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Posts
    63

    Question Getting back into 4x5 -- Need some Suggestions

    Forgive me, film gods, for I have sinned. Five years ago, out of an abundance of professional fatigue and shortsightedness I sold all of my film equipment. Well, I have seen the error of my ways and I desire to return to the LF light.

    But in all seriousness, I am looking to get back into 4x5. Years ago I shot with a Linhof Super Technika and really enjoyed the "press" style cameras that would fold a lens inside of them.

    I'm also considering one of the Chamonix cameras, which are beautiful and I can get one brand new...Specifically, a 45N-2 and probably a Nikkor 150mm 5.6 to get started...

    Are there any others I should consider?

    I primarily shoot environmental portraiture or really environmental scenes in general. Think Alec Soth with far less talent and Guggenheimery...

    Anyway, any guidance would be GREATLY appreciated...I need to find myself some film holders I guess.....

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    118

    Re: Getting back into 4x5 -- Need some Suggestions

    pacemaker speed graphic if you want maximum lens compatibility but somewhat limited movements, crown graphic if you want to go a little wider than a speed graphic at the cost of being limited to lenses with shutters, or maybe a wista d.

  3. #3
    Corran's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    North GA Mountains
    Posts
    8,217

    Re: Getting back into 4x5 -- Need some Suggestions

    You had a Linhof, so why not get another one? They've come down in price in the past few years it seems (used). A Master Technika would be the best one to get in terms of flexibility - having the top flap and tripod mount for using fall with the camera upside down is something I appreciate having. They do have some downsides due to the clamshell design, but using normalish lenses avoids most of those issues (90mm and longer).

    Of course the Chamonix is also an excellent camera and much lighter. Easier to use super wides, more flexible in movements, with a small trade-off in terms of zeroing out movements.

    You haven't stated a budget. If tight, get an Intrepid Mk.IV and just take a bit more time with setup to make sure you've got good parallelism. And don't drop it. As stated above, a Crown/Speed would be the cheaper clamshell option.

    All 4 options above have their own quirks and applications, no camera is perfect.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

  4. #4
    Foamer
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    South Dakota
    Posts
    2,282

    Re: Getting back into 4x5 -- Need some Suggestions

    I have a Chamonix 045n and love it. However it's strengths (lens movements, wide range of lens lengths) are things you don't need for portraits. Plus you really can't use a Chamonix hand held. You might consider a camera with a focal plane shutter. You can then use some really cool early barrel lenses (Petzvals etc.) that don't have a built in shutter.


    Kent in SD
    Qui sedes ad dexteram Patris,
    miserere nobis.

  5. #5
    dbla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Posts
    63

    Re: Getting back into 4x5 -- Need some Suggestions

    Quote Originally Posted by maltfalc View Post
    pacemaker speed graphic if you want maximum lens compatibility but somewhat limited movements, crown graphic if you want to go a little wider than a speed graphic at the cost of being limited to lenses with shutters, or maybe a wista d.
    Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    You had a Linhof, so why not get another one? They've come down in price in the past few years it seems (used). A Master Technika would be the best one to get in terms of flexibility - having the top flap and tripod mount for using fall with the camera upside down is something I appreciate having. They do have some downsides due to the clamshell design, but using normalish lenses avoids most of those issues (90mm and longer).

    Of course the Chamonix is also an excellent camera and much lighter. Easier to use super wides, more flexible in movements, with a small trade-off in terms of zeroing out movements.

    You haven't stated a budget. If tight, get an Intrepid Mk.IV and just take a bit more time with setup to make sure you've got good parallelism. And don't drop it. As stated above, a Crown/Speed would be the cheaper clamshell option.

    All 4 options above have their own quirks and applications, no camera is perfect.
    Quote Originally Posted by Two23 View Post
    I have a Chamonix 045n and love it. However it's strengths (lens movements, wide range of lens lengths) are things you don't need for portraits. Plus you really can't use a Chamonix hand held. You might consider a camera with a focal plane shutter. You can then use some really cool early barrel lenses (Petzvals etc.) that don't have a built in shutter.


    Kent in SD
    Hey all thanks foe the input. I’m not particularly interested in any of the “graphic” style cameras… been there shot that years ago. I do think I need to look into linhofs again on eBay I guess. Probably more cost effective than the Chamonix.

    Budget wise I’m looking at roughly 2k or less on a setup. “Setup” being camera, lens, holders, etc….

  6. #6
    Corran's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    North GA Mountains
    Posts
    8,217

    Re: Getting back into 4x5 -- Need some Suggestions

    I bought another Linhof Master Technika last year for $450, including a lens. To be fair, That was a steal from an estate sale, and it has some issues with the bellows. I think you could easily get an MT, 2-3 lenses, and all the necessary accessories for that $2k, and have some left over depending on lens choice.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    66

    Re: Getting back into 4x5 -- Need some Suggestions

    Depending on why you aren’t interested in the Graphics, one of the Toyo 45A variants might work for you.

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    163

    Re: Getting back into 4x5 -- Need some Suggestions

    I'd second (or third) the suggestion to look at used Technikas. I have an early Master, and I liked it so much more than the Shen Hao that was my first LF camera. Its just so rigid and precise compared to the Shen Hao. I got mine for ~$800. I've since had to replace the bellows, but that wasn't too hard. I now much prefer my Technikardan, which I got for a steal about a year ago, but today that camera used would eat most of your $2k budget.

  9. #9
    Foamer
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    South Dakota
    Posts
    2,282

    Re: Getting back into 4x5 -- Need some Suggestions

    I think the first thing you need to determine is if you will always want to use a tripod or not.


    Kent in SD
    Qui sedes ad dexteram Patris,
    miserere nobis.

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Dec 1999
    Location
    Forest Grove, Ore.
    Posts
    3,973

    Re: Getting back into 4x5 -- Need some Suggestions

    I don't know whether or not you liked the range finder on a Linhof, but you might consider the "Linhof like" Wista SP. It's much like a Wista, except that it's a little smaller. One advantage, it has the ability to use interchangeable bellows. (Bag versus accordion.) It's well built.

    I had one for a bit and decided to return to my rail camera.

Similar Threads

  1. Wood Working on old LF camera back--repair & suggestions 6 1/2 x 8 1/2 Scoville
    By Raymond Bleesz in forum LF DIY (Do It Yourself)
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-Jul-2020, 16:43
  2. Suggestions for LF/ULF (8x10+) back size for project camera?
    By John Schneider in forum Cameras & Camera Accessories
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 10-Sep-2013, 07:58
  3. Reduced DOF with Scanning Back--Lens Suggestions
    By prohtex in forum Lenses & Lens Accessories
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 14-Feb-2011, 06:30
  4. GPS suggestions
    By Noah A in forum Gear
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 14-Dec-2010, 07:21
  5. 6x12 120 back - won't fit! Any alternative suggestions please?
    By Peter Brown in forum Darkroom: Film, Processing & Printing
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 28-Oct-2001, 21:13

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •