Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 5x7 B&J no longer focusing correctly - why?

Re: 5x7 B&J no longer focusing correctly - why?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Keller View Post
    It somewhat looks like the right side is focused further back than the left side. Could there be something preventing your film holder from seating flush to the back on one end?
    I've inspected closely and I don't see anything that would act as an obstruction.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Greenberg Motamedi View Post
    Did you change holders at any point? I have a few plate holders that have non-standard film to glass depths.
    I have only one 5x7 plate holder (Chamonix), so its the same one I've been using all along.

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy Storer View Post
    Check to make sure the ground glass frame (which moves out of the way when you insert the film holder) is seating all the way forward when you're focusing. There could be some obstruction, spring rubbing the edge or something preventing it going "home". The effects of this would be the same as what you're experiencing.
    I've inspected the back, and I discovered that one of the screws that the pressure springs attach to at the insert end was quite bent, and no longer holding that spring in tension at the "parked" position. It was allowing maybe 1/2mm gap at the insert end. So, I have removed it, straightened that screw and swapped it for one from the opposite corner, and am about to test it to see if that accounts for the focus shift. Thanks for that suggestion!

Fingers crossed for you.
    Quote Originally Posted by paulbarden View Post
    I've inspected the back, and I discovered that one of the screws that the pressure springs attach to at the insert end was quite bent, and no longer holding that spring in tension at the "parked" position. It was allowing maybe 1/2mm gap at the insert end. So, I have removed it, straightened that screw and swapped it for one from the opposite corner, and am about to test it to see if that accounts for the focus shift. Thanks for that suggestion!
    Tracy Storer
    Mammoth Camera Company tm
    www.mammothcamera.com

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy Storer View Post
    Fingers crossed for you.
    It appears you were right, and the bent screw on the springs mechanism was contributing just enough slop on one corner to throw off the focus. I have some test film I'm about to scan to verify the fix, but Mr. Loupe has already pretty much verified it. Thanks, Tracy!

Yay!
    I love happy endings!

My B&J 5x7 tailboard camera has two levers below the rear standard to lock it into place after focusing but sometimes when I flip them down to lock the standard I can see the rear standard move backward a little bit. Well, it's an old camera. I've learned to watch for it and fiddle with the locks.

Mike
    Politically, aerodynamically, and fashionably incorrect.

Quote Originally Posted by MIke Sherck View Post
    My B&J 5x7 tailboard camera has two levers below the rear standard to lock it into place after focusing but sometimes when I flip them down to lock the standard I can see the rear standard move backward a little bit. Well, it's an old camera. I've learned to watch for it and fiddle with the locks.

Mike
    Mike, mine has the same hardware configuration, and I’ve become very careful in making sure those levers are snug after I’ve changed the back orientation. It’s an issue with this design.