Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Assessing Dollar Value of Equipment

Assessing Dollar Value of Equipment

It's been more than ten years since I bought or sold equipment. While I absolutely love my lenses and would never part with a a few of them, there are a couple that haven't been used in a decade. I thought I might make them available to people on this forum - not interested in Ebay. The problem is that I have little idea of the value of these lenses. I've tied searching, but all I get are seemingly overprices sales overseas. Can anyone recommend a good place to start for researching lens values?
    Garry Madlung
    Veteran of many tours of the Canadian Rockies

Re: Assessing Dollar Value of Equipment

Check the completed listings on eBay. The "sold" items will give you an idea of current going prices; the "unsold" ones are usually the ones priced too high.

Used prices from places like KEH, B&H, etc. will also give you an idea. Google is your friend...

Best,

Doremus

We have a sticky thread on this topic at the top of this subforum:

https://www.largeformatphotography.i...e-LF-Equipment

Views You Can Use

Ebay prices are inflated for fees and dealers who tend to ask for too much. I like selling here minus the fees and hassle.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Beck View Post
    Ebay prices are inflated for fees and dealers who tend to ask for too much. I like selling here minus the fees and hassle.
    asking prices can be inflated, sold item prices aren't.

Thank you to all! I will check the sticky thread! and use Ebay as a guide with a grain of salt. I don't need to make a big profit on these, but someone might be able to give these SK XLs a proper life of use. If they don't sell, meh.
    Garry Madlung

Views You Can Use

Quote Originally Posted by maltfalc View Post
    asking prices can be inflated, sold item prices aren't.
    Fees come out of the selling price. Unless you want to lose money you have to ask for more than it’s worth. I bought a camera that was listed on EBay but purchased it in person and he reduced a percentage from the total because it was cash.

Lets say you buy a lens from a friend for $100 cash and want to sell it on Ebay. Lets say Ebay fees are 10% so your price is now $110. If someone buys that lens for $110 and wants to resell it on Ebay, the price is now $121, and so on.

In reality the price cant keep going up so we lose $$ and Ebay makes $$ on every purchase.

Fees come out of the selling price. Unless you want to lose money you have to ask for more than it’s worth. I bought a camera that was listed on EBay but purchased it in person and he reduced a percentage from the total because it was cash.

Lets say you buy a lens from a friend for $100 cash and want to sell it on Ebay. Lets say Ebay fees are 10% so your price is now $110. If someone buys that lens for $110 and wants to resell it on Ebay, the price is now $121, and so on.

In reality the price cant keep going up so we lose $$ and Ebay makes $$ on every purchase.
    Sounds like taxes.
    Garry Madlung

I take it that you believe in buy high, hope to sell higher.

none of that matters. the subject of this thread is how to determine how much people are willing to pay for an item. that's literally what sold items on ebay tells you, minus what they paid for shipping, so the price listed is actually lower than the item's value, not inflated.