Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Meter & f-stop discrepancy

Re: Meter & f-stop discrepancy

You can ignore the digital and just look at the analog bar which shows the readings within 1/2 stop. The picture from the instruction manual explains it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Clipboard02.jpg  

Exposure latitude has changed about nada with modern color transparency films, What has changed is how the majority color transparency films are being used today. Majority of color transparency film users today appear to be made by outdoor with varied lighting conditions and all. The days where color transparency films made in studio with tightly controlled lighting, E6 processing with the color transparency film gray card tested and all per film batch is a rarity.

This is the current reality of how color transparency films are used today. Also appears, majority of color transparency films are scanned then "worked on" in software then processes to their finished print.

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by gnd2 View Post
    Are you saying that modern transparency film has increased latitude or that we just aren't using transparencies any more? Because I'm planning to shoot transparencies for stereo viewing.

In general, with ambient light and negative film I don't sweat it, maybe a little tweak of the aperture a half stop as has been mentioned.

But in the studio with strobes, it's the other way around - I'm not setting the shutter and aperture to the light, I choose the shutter and aperture and adjust the strobe power until it's what I want. In this situation, I appreciate the 1/10 stop readout.

Bernice, a lot of assumptions based on nothing.

Drew Wiley

What is a scan? Is that the noisy tunnel-like machine they put you're body in to look for abnormalities? Your nerves will stay far in better shape if you properly meter to begin with. Chrome film has always needed, and will always need, accurate exposure. Trying to correct sloppy mistakes after the fact is like using duct tape for a roof leak. It only sorta works.

Specific cc correction filter advice relative to film batch (not lighting deviation) stopped being labeled on film boxes due to greatly improved coating consistency, rendering that old custom unnecessary.
    It had nothing to do with the ability to use a software crowbar to leverage things, since that kind of option wasn't even common yet. But lots of CC filters are themselves somewhat off, especially if old and faded.