Thread: Hi! Will the Schneider Symmar S 240mm f/5.6 cover 8x10 half body portraits wide open?

Hi! Will the Schneider Symmar S 240mm f/5.6 cover 8x10 half body portraits wide open?

Greetings,

I was wondering if anyone can tell me if I should go with the Schneider Symmar S 240mm f/5.6 for 8x10 half body portraits wide open?

Or is the Nikkor W 240 f/5.6 a better option?

There's a Symmar S I have my eye on that doesn't have a shutter which is perfect for my needs.

Thanks for reading this!

Be well

Best Regards,
    Kevin H.

Re: Hi! Will the Schneider Symmar S 240mm f/5.6 cover 8x10 half body portraits wide o

Symmar S lenses can be very good. 240 should cover no problem at that magnification. It's like a 35mm lens (roughly) on 35mm, and so you'd be pretty close to your subject.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Re: Hi! Will the Schneider Symmar S 240mm f/5.6 cover 8x10 half body portraits wide o

I've got the Caltar S-II 240/5.6 and it's a re-badged Schneider Symmar-S, so I assume it's optically identical.
    Sharp lens, good contrast and a great all-around lens for 8x10 landscapes, nature, architecture, etc.
    For half-body portraits it wouldn't be my first choice as it roughly equates to a 35mm lens on 35mm film (as Peter noted above), so you'll need to be close to your subject to fill the frame, and the look may not be so flattering to them.
    I'd suggest something 300mm or longer for 8x10 portraits, and something less sharp and clinical, unless that's what you're going for. Many older lenses are great for portraits, like the 12" Ektar or the longer Wollensak Velostigmats that cover 8x10.

Thanks so much Peter and Jim!

Yep, I need to be close as I'm doing an alternative process so because I want to be able to do direct light, I need to be close.

Does it make sense the lens to subject distance for half body portrait will be around 4 feet?

I use this website calculator but I don't know how well the formulas work:

https://apenasimagens.com/en/focal-l...s-and-framing/

Thank so much!
    Be well

I set up an 8x10 in portrait orientation. I focused on an area 36" high. (Obviously, half body will depend on the size of the body.) Focusing a 240 lens, a Germinar W, led to a front of the lens to subject distance of 43".
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Hey Peter De Smidt!

Wow, thank you for your time and help!
    You are so kind to have shared some of your time.

I wish you well.
    Thanks again!
    Cheers,
    Kevin H.