Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Maco Prototype IR film...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Maco Prototype IR film...

Hi All -

In cleaning out the freezer, I found I have an unopened pack of the Maco Prototype IR film sent out years ago. Not sure where I picked it up. I can't find much information on using it, as Maco had asked everyone to not post about it during the testing period.

I've never shot IR. I'm trying to plan some outings this summer and was thinking about buying a filter and shooting some of this, if it's worth the trouble. So,

• Is it likely to be any good anymore? Not sure how well IR film ages.
    • Will ordinary 4x5 gear do the trick? I have a lot of research to do, but are, say, Riteway holders suitable?
    • Anyone know if this can be developed in a rotary tank? I read somewhere that Maco recommended wrapping plastic tanks in foil or developing in the dark. Don't know if my daylight setup is up to it.
    • Anyone know if this can be developed in HC-110? Any ideas on time/temp?

Depending on the above, I may be trying this out.

Thanks for any input.
    Scott

Re: Maco Prototype IR film...

The Massive Dev Chart has plenty of info about the Maco IR film.

Maco IR 820c/750c HC-110 dilution B 7min @ 20C

Ordinary film holders should be fine, yes. Use an R-72 filter if you can, but an ordinary #25 red will suffice.

I would scan this document for more info as well.

Thanks for that Paul. I'll end up adjusting the developing for rotary and probably bump it down to dilution H. I found a decent R-72 filter, which will be here next week. Have a perfect test locale picked out. Looking forward to this!

I've seen that tech sheet. That's actually where it says to wrap plastic tanks in foil. I don't know as I'm going to do that with my rotary daylight tank.

Run your rotary tanks in low light, preferably led light that doesnt have the heavy IR component that tungsten light has. Should be fine. This warning was probably due to some of the cheaper plastic tanks that arent IR safe due to being colored with dyes instead of carbon black.

BTW I have never ever wrapped any tank in foil when processing IR film, including the realy sensitive late Kodak HIE film, frankly I think it is MACO b..t, they have a track record on bold statements..

best,

Cor

Quote Originally Posted by Cor View Post
    BTW I have never ever wrapped any tank in foil when processing IR film, including the realy sensitive late Kodak HIE film, frankly I think it is MACO b..t, they have a track record on bold statements..

best,

Cor
    IIRC the tanks which were IR-transparent were a few ranges of 1980s, cheap, blow-moulded, dyed plastic tanks. They are both no longer made and never very strong even when new, so are unlikely to be in use nowadays. The current Jobo or Paterson tanks (and probably most other injection moulded products) are working fine.

Quote Originally Posted by MartinP View Post
    IIRC the tanks which were IR-transparent were a few ranges of 1980s, cheap, blow-moulded, dyed plastic tanks. They are both no longer made and never very strong even when new, so are unlikely to be in use nowadays.
    What about baquelite ones?

Quote Originally Posted by Eugen Mezei View Post
    What about baquelite ones?
    Apart from Minox, I have never tried a bakelite tank in any size or format, but most bakelite products I have seen tend to be quite 'chunky' as the plastic is relatively weak. That suggests that there is enough material for them to be IR proof. A test would be to expose a sheet to give a light grey tone, then cut it in half and develop one part in the bakelite tank after leaving it in the sun all day, and the other part in a way that you know to be good (a modern tank, or a tray). Compare the results and then you'll know for sure. Of course, a photo of the tank and the results back in the thread would then help others.

If it is the prottype I got many years ago (going from memory now): it was supposed to be the replacement of the EFKE made IR film, sold under the Maco brand, which was labeled IR820c a decent nice film, good at capturing IR albeit at the cost of slow speed around 2 ASA with a 72 filter. I still use it now and then.

The prototype, gave less of a IR effect, main drawback is that it is very thin, I ended up by putting a piece of overhead sheet underneath the film when placing it in the holder, els it was too loose to my taste. Also develpping requires extra care since it was so thin. I believe there were also quite some artefects (v shapes) on the film it self as well, but again digging from memory here..

Hope more people can chime in with relevant data.

good luck,

Cor

Quote Originally Posted by Cor View Post
    If it is the prottype I got many years ago (going from memory now): it was supposed to be the replacement of the EFKE made IR film, sold under the Maco brand, which was labeled IR820c a decent nice film, good at capturing IR albeit at the cost of slow speed around 2 ASA with a 72 filter. I still use it now and then.

The prototype, gave less of a IR effect, main drawback is that it is very thin, I ended up by putting a piece of overhead sheet underneath the film when placing it in the holder, els it was too loose to my taste. Also develpping requires extra care since it was so thin. I believe there were also quite some artefects (v shapes) on the film it self as well, but again digging from memory here..

Hope more people can chime in with relevant data.

good luck,

Cor
    Cor - if the original EFKE was ISO 2, do you recall what the MACO prototype was rated at?

My R72 filter will be here tomorrow, but Accuweather isn't calling for sun until Tuesday. Hoping to have this worked out for some test shots. Of course, if this pans out, I'll probably buy a box of the Rollei IR film and start playing...