Thread: 4x5 sheets light inside the film

4x5 sheets light inside the film

Hi,

I would like to ask if someone knows what is the problem with these 4x5 sheets. As you see some light has come inside the film and don't know from were. I don't think is a problem with the below as I took other pictures with the same below without having any issue.

Many thanks for your help!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	106 copy.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	63.6 KB 
ID:	217387Click image for larger version. 

Name:	107 copy.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	116.3 KB 
ID:	217388

Re: 4x5 sheets light inside the film

That is one crazy light leak. I don't know your level of experience, so take this for what its worth. Check your film holder for proper seating before pulling the dark slide. Also pay close attention when you remove the dark slide so that the film holder doesn't pop out even for a second. If need be, keep your dark cloth over the camera while removing the dark slide. Other than that, perhaps the bellows is coming unseated at the rear standard when adjusting. Just some things to check.

due to the hard edges on the light leak, what ever was blocking light at the top of the film would have to be very close to the film when the leak was exposed. It almost makes it seem like the leak happened outside the camera.

What do the edges of the film look like? Are the edges exposed too? What type of film holder are you using? As Deyoung says, it's very strange to get sharp edged light leaks in camera. I'm guessing it didn't happen in camera, and was somewhere else in the line of events.

Are the bellows firmly attached at each end? I could see something like this maybe happening if a gap opened between the bellows frame and the camera body while the film was in, with the dark slide out.

Hello guys,

many thanks for your replies, I am very new in LF, my guess is that the problem is the holder, for these pictures I remember to take out the dark slide from the holder when it was placed in the camera, and then wait for more than 30 minutes until I take the picture. Someone told me that I shouldn't do that and might be this is the problem. I have read that we should completely remove the dark slide and when I have taken other pictures without removing the dark slide was fine and no leaks.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordi View Post
    Hello guys,

for these pictures I remember to take out the dark slide from the holder when it was placed in the camera, and then wait for more than 30 minutes until I take the picture. Someone told me that I shouldn't do that and might be this is the problem. I have read that we should completely remove the dark slide and when I have taken other pictures without removing the dark slide was fine and no leaks.
    I am guessing its a pinhole in the bellows since it seems to be forming an image on top of the other image vs just blowing out the main image.
    Stick a bright flashlight inside the camera fully extended. Put a lens with cap on the front, and a holder in the back (No need to pull slide). Turn out the lights and look for the pinhole or light coming out around the lensboard/holder.
    Check all your holders and lensboards with this method.

The only other weird thing I have seen is a gap in the shutter blades but that would be extremely rare.
    The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
    http://www.searing.photography

A pinhole or leak around the lens board somewhere along the bottom.