Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Schneider Kreuznach Super Angulon MC XL 5,6/58

Schneider Kreuznach Super Angulon MC XL 5,6/58

I got offered a lens with the following description

Schneider Kreuznach Super Angulon MC XL 5,6/58 Copal 0 (Code 16189)

and this image:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	34.9 KB 
ID:	217385

I am considering to buy it to use it with my new Chamonix C45F-2 4x5 camera.

Would it be a good fit for my Chamonix as a wide angel lens?
    What is known about this lens?
    It is any good?
    Are there any known "diseases" that this lens often has when it ages?

The above info is basically everything I have got. The seller cannot really tell me if it is fully functional because he it is not a photographer and he just inherited the lens.
    He says that the lens "looks basically flawless" and the shutter "does something" when releasing it.

Is it risky buying it like this? How much money should I offer, considering these risks.

How much money is it worth if it turns out the lens is actually more or less flawless?

Photographer

Re: Schneider Kreuznach Super Angulon MC XL 5,6/58

That is a ultra wide angle lens. It would be good for architecture, especially interiors. I would not recommend the lens for your only wide angle lens.

If you continue to consider buying it, try to buy it "on approval" e.g., make sure you can get your money back if the shutter does not function correctly or the glass is damaged. If the buyer doesn't accept "on approval," discount the offer price heavily--if you have to get the shutter serviced, it will cost you $125 and up.

As far as the lens' worth, check the sold listings on Ebay to get an idea.
    Keith Pitman

If you will be shooting color, then plan on also buying a center ND filter. A Schneider IIIb (part #10590). Exposure correction is 1.5 and the filter thread M67x0.75. I believe that Rodenstock and Heliopan also offered center ND filters that would fit the 58mm. Their exposure correction might be 2.0 or 2.5. Maybe another forum member could confirm or correct this post?

If you are only shooting black & white, then you may or may not want to use a center ND filter. I use a 90mm Super Angulon XL on my whole plate for only shooting black & white and resisted acquiring a center ND filter for it for the longest time. I finally did acquired a center ND filter for it, and now use it 100% of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    If you will be shooting color, then plan on also buying a center ND filter.

If you are only shooting black & white, then you may or may not want to use a center ND filter..
    Why do I need a center ND filter for this lens when shooting 4x5? Is this because of some heavy vignetting? Is the coverage circle of this lens not large enough for 4x5? Why do I need it for color more than for b&w?

Lachlan 717

Super wides = super vignetting.

The unavoidable laws of physics…. This lens has light “falloff”; yes, the image circle is being pushed with 4x5”, but we’re not discussing mechanical vignetting here.

Colour positive film doesn’t have the latitude of negative film. Thus, WYSIWYG.
    Lachlan.

You miss 100% of the shots you never take. -- Wayne Gretzky

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    If you will be shooting color, then plan on also buying a center ND filter. A Schneider IIIb (part #10590). Exposure correction is 1.5 and the filter thread M67x0.75. I believe that Rodenstock and Heliopan also offered center ND filters that would fit the 58mm. Their exposure correction might be 2.0 or 2.5. Maybe another forum member could confirm or correct this post?

If you are only shooting black & white, then you may or may not want to use a center ND filter. I use a 90mm Super Angulon XL on my whole plate for only shooting black & white and resisted acquiring a center ND filter for it for the longest time. I finally did acquired a center ND filter for it, and now use it 100% of the time.
    See http://www.galerie-photo.com/center-...at-lenses.html

More wide = more better. Love my 58xl. Send him my way, I've thought about buying a second copy.

PS valuations are not allowed.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    More wide = more better. Love my 58xl.
    Was that (nice) image shot using a center ND filter? I wonder how strong the vignetting actually is on 4x5 on that lens without a center ND filter.

So the question still stands: Is this lens generally considered to be a really good super wide angle lens? Are there better ones?

Also, it looks like that lens goes on eBay between 600 and 900 Euro. That seems rather overpriced, or not?

Huub

There are only a few modern super wide lenses offered for the 4x5 format and this is one of them. The others are the 55mm Rodentock Apo-Grandagon and the 47mm Schneider SA XL, which is even a step wider. It ain't a super sharp lens with a super large image circle, but for this focal length it is among the best there is. Even when i don't have personal experience with the Rodenstock 55mm my bet is that you won't see much differences in pratical applications.