Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Schneider Kreuznach Super Angulon MC XL 5,6/58

Re: Schneider Kreuznach Super Angulon MC XL 5,6/58

Same Schneider XL lens design series, different focal length. The 58mm will NOT cover 5x7, the 72mm does. The 72mm results in a different angle of view on 4x5 than the 58mm..

Yes, the IC of the 72mm is larger than the 58mm. Ease of use is a non-issue for a camera easily capable of pushing the 58mm or 72mm beyond it's IC limits. If ease of use is related to angle of view, that is a different aspect of these two focal lengths entirely.

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by Lachlan 717 View Post
    If I was in your place, I’d get the72mm SAXL.

Much bigger IC and far easier to use.

(And less physics for you to argue with…)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	D1D8321F-BF3B-405F-A9A2-08DBF2DA6033.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	78.4 KB 
ID:	217439Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2A9B0D2F-347D-4C06-8E7B-0F5385CB85AF.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	70.5 KB 
ID:	217440Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2F4830B1-2C2D-4E23-951E-ED12A1DA66FF.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	76.2 KB 
ID:	217441

Hopefully these will display alright, this is a great reference for these lenses. I have never figured out how to display images on this site. (If anyone wants to pm me instructions, I would be forever greatfull)

I’m a big fan of the super angulon XL’s, I have the 72xl and the 90xl that I use on my 5x8. The 72 is crazy wide for 5x8.
    I am tempted some days to get back into 4x5 just to use with the 47xl.

Quote Originally Posted by John Brady View Post
    Hopefully these will display alright
    This seems like a very interesting document.
    The images are a bit too lowres though. Do you happen to have it at a higher resolution, or maybe even as a PDF? May/should I PM you for that.

Quote Originally Posted by John Brady View Post

Name:	D1D8321F-BF3B-405F-A9A2-08DBF2DA6033.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	78.4 KB 
ID:	217439Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2A9B0D2F-347D-4C06-8E7B-0F5385CB85AF.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	70.5 KB 
ID:	217440Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2F4830B1-2C2D-4E23-951E-ED12A1DA66FF.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	76.2 KB 
ID:	217441
    According to those charts the image circle is big enough for 4x5. And there is even a bit of room (almost 1cm) of shifting without exceeding the image circle. so if I do not tilt and shift, does that mean I wouldn't need a center ND filer (at least at some smaller arptetures)?

Name:	one.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	36.6 KB 
ID:	217520

Name:	two.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	46.4 KB 
ID:	217521

As mentioned earlier, you only need a center filter if you are concerned about the edges being darker than the center, vignetting. With black and white I find it to be subtle but pleasing, back when I shot Velvia 50, I found it necessary. It's a great lens, if you can buy it right and you want a super wide lens, I would go for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kornscharfsteller View Post
    According to those charts the image circle is big enough for 4x5. And there is even a bit of room (almost 1cm) of shifting possible without exceeding the image circle. so if I do not tilt and shift, does that mean I wouldn't need a center ND filer?

According to those charts the image circle is big enough for 4x5. And there is even a bit of room (almost 1cm) of shifting possible without exceeding the image circle. so if I do not tilt and shift, does that mean I wouldn't need a center ND filer?
    The charts tell you that the light fall off from center to edge is why you need a center filter.

This seems like a very interesting document.
    The images are a bit too lowres though. Do you happen to have it at a higher resolution, or maybe even as a PDF? May/should I PM you for that.
    Try this link:

https://web.archive.org/web/20121004...mat_lenses.pdf

To be very clear. The lens will have a image circle that covers 4x5. But within that image circle there will be a difference of illumination of 2.2 steps (all according to Schneider's documentation). Meaning that the extreme corners will be exposed 2.2 stops less than the center of the image in that image circle.
    This is due to nature and all similar lenses will have more or less the same behavior.

If this is acceptable to you or not is something you have decide, we can not help you with that. If not then you need to invest in a center filter.
    You will not find any similar wide angle lens covering the same angle that have any significant difference in performance concerning vignetting ( as Bernice has explained this is due to nature and nature will not be denied).

My take is that, owning similar lenses, this is acceptable for black and white and color negative films, but not for slides. But you assessment may vary.

If you want such a wide lens, get it, you will not find anything better.
    Last edited by lassethomas; 13-Jul-2021 at 00:58.

For what its worth, I shot 4x5 landscapes with the Rodenstock 55mm for about a decade, exclusively with color slides (velvia, astia, provia). I never found the vignetting to be a problem. I also scanned the slides and edited them digitally so correcting the vignette wasn't difficult, although I rarely did so, as I like a vignette on a super wide angle image. I don't have the image circle chart in front of me, but I never ran out of rear tilt (the only movement I used for the most part) since you rarely need more than a few mm using such a wide angle lens. I can only assume the Schneider 58mm XL would be very similar and you'd be very happy with it.

I have the SAXL 5.6/58 mounted on a Cambo Wide DS, it's a very good lens, and with a large coverage. The SAXL 5,6/72 it's with my Supertechnika V 13x18 and it's a much larger lens not suited for some 4x5 cameras.

The 58 mm focal length on 4x5" covers a room from one of his corners. 47 mm on 4x5" and 72 mm on 5x7" show you even all the walls (if you don't mind the geometries of the image). Wide angles are useful when trying to take a building on a narrow street or a house without some modern additions as electric poles. You need some longer lens for other situations when the extreme angles are not needed.