Thread: Lens board hole size for Alphax 3 shutter

Lens board hole size for Alphax 3 shutter

A couple of weeks ago I was given a range of camera equipment. One item was a J. Lancaster wooden view camera that had a Wollensak Vesta f/5 seven inch portrait lens. It's in an Alphax shutter which I'm assuming is a #3 based on the fact that it goes to 1/100 sec & I've read that this shutter was a direct fit for these lenses. The aperture markings are all wrong with the marked max aperture being f/1.9 but I can work around that and just glad to have the lens in a shutter. It obviously wasn't the original lens on the camera - I can see that someone had removed whatever was originally there & drilled a hole & glued a flange for the Alphax. I don't have any film holders for the Lancaster, and the ground glass measures as being quarter plate, so I'm not that keen on using the camera, however I would like to try this lens on my Chamonix 4x5 so trying to work out what lens board hole I will need. Some searching suggests that a Compur 2 hole might be closest & perhaps some packing around it? The flange hole measures 50mm diameter. I don't have any machine tools so can't cut holes myself, just wondering if anyone has suggestions on my best option for buying a Technika board that will work with this shutter.

Re: Lens board hole size for Alphax 3 shutter

Apparently, someone put the lens elements into an Alphax #3 shutter from an oscilloscope camera.
    Check SK Grimes website under lens mounting, there are listings for mounting hole sizes for various shutters.
    Also, for more lens & shutter info for Vesta lenses & Alphax shutters, check alphaxbetax.com

Re: Lens board hole size for Alphax 3 shutter

Quote Originally Posted by Dugan View Post
    Also, for more lens & shutter info for Vesta lenses & Alphax shutters, check alphaxbetax.com
    Thanks, that website is really helpful. Looks like my lens was made in 1915.