Thread: What lens board for Wista 45DX and Schneider 90mm f/8

What lens board for Wista 45DX and Schneider 90mm f/8

Hi all,
    I’m new to large format photography and have decided I want to take my landscape work large format film, as I’ve been using full frame digital the past 15 years or so.
    I came across a Wista 45DX camera that seemed to fit the bill, and my local camera shop has a Schneider 90mm f/8 with a copal 0 shutter for a decent price. I need a lens board for it but my inexperience with large format is giving me issues. What kind of board do I need? I’ve been googling all day and can’t seem to get an answer. Can anyone help? Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: What lens board for Wista 45DX and Schneider 90mm f/8

LInhof or Wista recessed board.

Small town, South Carolina, US

Try to get a recessed board with the hole centered.

A 90mm will focus on a Wista DX with a flat board and it is a lot less fiddly than using a recessed board. Only problem is that the compressed bellows can limit movements a little. I use a 75mm on a flat board and can still get enough movements for my purposes.

I have two Wista DXs and an SW. The recessed board is almost a must with 90mm and shorter lenses in order not to damage the bellows when using movements. Sure, you can mount and focus the lens using a flat lensboard, but if you need any movements (e.g., front rise) you'll end up crimping the bellows. A bit of crimping just puts diagonal creases in the bellows, but to much will distort them so much that the camera will no longer close correctly (I've got one of those I bought cheap for parts; bellows are still light-tight, but look like hell and the camera won't close).

But, with the recessed board, you have to figure out a way to work the controls and mount the cable release. I have one Schneider 90mm SA that has a permanently-mounted flexible cable release. There are also flexible cable release extensions and fixed 90° extensions that work as well. Another option is to find a board with the remote adapter built in. This is a cable-release socket mounted on the board itself that connects to the shutter release with a stiff bent wire. I have one of those too with a 90mm Nikkor f/8 mounted. Works fine.

As far as working the controls: I can cock the shutter with my fingertip and just turn the shutter speed ring with fingers, but for setting the aperture and operating the preview lever I use the end of the cable release. A pencil tip or similar would work just fine too.

Best,

Doremus

Thanks for the answers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a little Zone VI made by Wista. This is a re-badged or re-branded Wista 454DX.

I have a 90mm Nikkor f/8 mounted on a flat board. Works well for me.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!