Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Which field camera for usage with 90mm lens

Re: Which field camera for usage with 90mm lens

As a P.S. to my previous post, not sure a recess board is needed. Mine came with the lens. You should do a search about that. Plenty of people with a lot more knowledge than me can answer. As I said, I never use the 90mm, generally starting at 125mm and up.

I've had a Shen Hao TZ45-IIb and have been able to use 90mm lenses without much problem with the stock bellows. Many 4x5 Shen Hao cameras have the capability to replace the standard bellows with a bag bellows, which allows for much more movement and wider lenses. If I used the 90 more, or wanted to use a 75, I would opt for the bag bellows. They've got a few current models (4x5 Field cameras) with bellows extensions of 50mm or less, I'm assuming with the standard bellows installed.
    If you look for one on the used market, this may fall within your price range. The new prices on these have more than doubled since I bought mine 15 years ago. Here's a listing at Badger Graphic Sales.

Majority of 4x5 field folder view cameras can easily deal with a 90mm lens with varying degrees of camera movement often limited by the camera and standard bellows as a pair. If the image goals are the current fashion of outdoor landscapes on a hike or similar, the camera movements required using a 90mm lens is most often modest at most. This is one of the reasons why field folder cameras are made they way they are and have limited camera movements, standard bellows, lowest weight and all that. Field folder view cameras are a specific tool designed and intended for a specific image making goal.

Current fashion and market demand drives market values and prices on stuff like this, or why field folder view cameras have become IMO so very pricy for what they are in this current world of view cameras.

If a field folder is pressed into camera movement demanding images such as architectural photography, non-standard studio view camera images and such, the light weight field folder view camera will meet with very serious camera limitations due to it's inherent design and intended way of being used. This is where a GOOD monorail camera is a FAR better choice. The monorail view camera is the far less desirable-fashionable view camera of today partly due to market inertia and found on countless web pages-videos of what defines today's view camera. It is also why GOOD monorail cameras remain lower cost today. Keep in mind, demanding camera movements demand lenses with enough image circle to meet this demand.

Given the mention of needing camera movements, question is how much and what kind of images will be your goals?

What other lenses will this camera be expected to be used with?

As for recesses ad top hat lens boards, IMO absolute pain in the user as these are camera band-aid helpers in an attempt to cure a problem designed into the camera. Recessed lens boards often bring on difficulty of accessing the shutter and related. Top hat lens boards results in a lens and board combo that can be the equal of a camera that was capable of using the lens on a flat lens board with no helper aids.

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by Times2 View Post
    Hi,

I'm looking into buying my first LF camera, a field camera (mainly due to its size), with the intention to use it with some 90mm lens. Movements are the main reason why I'm buying it. Due to their beds, I dont know which field camera can enable me a decent range of movements and which accessories (like recessed lens boards) are needed. Field camera caught my attention due to being somewhat cheap and portable.In case you have tried or know some which will work with no major restriction in camera movements I would very much appreciate your info.
    Thanks!

Which lens are you using? Are you using it with a special lens board?

Rodenstock Grandagon 90mm f/6.8 on a flat board.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Quote Originally Posted by Bernice Loui View Post
    As for recesses ad top hat lens boards, IMO absolute pain in the user as these are camera band-aid helpers in an attempt to cure a problem designed into the camera. Recessed lens boards often bring on difficulty of accessing the shutter and related.
    This. Accessing the switch to open and close the shutter on the recess board is a PITA.

Plus, I had to buy a special - i.e., expensive - Linhof shutter release cable that would fit on the older style board.

Bernice is right. Amount of movements really depend on what you want to do. I mostly do landscape and portraits and therefore use very little movements - mostly tilt for focus and a bit of rise.

I've seen interesting effects done in landscape with wide-angle lenses using back movements, which, if that's your goal, shouldn't be a problem with most cameras mentioned int the thread.

While the Technikas are great and well-made cameras, I'm not sure they fall into the price category that the OP is interested in.

Also, we need to better define "field camera." Metal cameras like Technikas and the Wista and Toyo metal cameras are heavy and often have more limited movements than wooden folding field cameras.

In my mind, a "field camera" is a lightweight wooden folder. Metal folding cameras are hybrids; more portable than a full-featured monorail, but not nearly as packable and transportable in the field (not to mention backpacking) as a wooden folding camera.

Wooden folders, on the other hand, are often less fully-featured and may not have the precision movements that a metal camera has.

@OP,

If you are only planning on doing landscape work with your 90mm lens, most folding cameras will fit the bill. On the other hand, if you (like me) do a lot of interior and architectural work that requires a lot of front rise and other movements, then you may want to look at cameras with wide-angle bellows of some kind, either a bag bellows or a "universal"-type bellows that is part bag bellows and part pleated bellows. While many of the cameras with standard pleated bellows will accommodate 90mm lenses, movements may be limited by bellows compression, even with a recessed lensboard. If you're using extreme movements a lot, a wide-angle bellows of some kind will make your life a lot easier (or look at cameras with short bellows designed for wide-angle use like the Shen Hao TFC45; just be aware that longer lenses won't work on them at all).

Many of the Shen Hao models advertise bellows draw from 50mm upward and would certainly be able to focus a 90mm lens. A recessed board will afford more movement with the standard pleated bellows too, and therefore, may do fine for your needs. Wista DX cameras and Tachihara cameras would be similar. I use a Wista DX with a 90mm lens all the time and use rather extreme movements at times, crimping the bellows when needed. That said, I really, really love my Wista SW with interchangeable bellows. With the wide-angle bellows mounted, I can more than use all the 235mm of image circle my 90mm f/8 Nikkor SW offers.

Here's a photo of it in action:Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MyWista-XtremeMvmts.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	68.0 KB 
ID:	217354

As you can see, I've used point-and-tilt to get even more front rise and lateral shift as well. I was at the edge of the 229mm of coverage on my 135mm Wide-field Ektar.

Several Chamonix cameras come with universal bellows, which also have rather long total bellows draw, making them very versatile. I've never hand my hands on one, but I'd look at them seriously if I needed another 4x5 camera.

If you're looking to buy used (which I'd recommend) then patience may be your best friend in finding what you want. I waited a long time for the Wista SW to come up; they're fairly rare.

Hope this helps a bit,

Doremus

Any camera that you can place the front and rear frames 90mm or less apart should work. I believe that would include many (most) 4x5 field cameras.

Foamer

I routinely use a Nikon 90mm f4.5 on my Chamonix 045N with universal bellows. No problem at all. I even use a 75mm with that camera & bellows.

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!

I'm planning to use it for images of interiors and houses. I really want those parallel lines But I would also like to be able to shot portraits (ofc with a different lens). I'm not big on long lenses if that matters.
    Horseman L45 although monorail entered my mind. Still not sure what to think of it, mainly due to how time-consuming it seems to assemble and disassemble it and ofc its weight.
    Choosing LF camera seems like a mandatory compromise

Foamer

I'm planning to use it for images of interiors and houses. I really want those parallel lines But I would also like to be able to shot portraits (ofc with a different lens). I'm not big on long lenses if that matters.
    Horseman L45 although monorail entered my mind. Still not sure what to think of it, mainly due to how time-consuming it seems to assemble and disassemble it and ofc its weight.
    Choosing LF camera seems like a mandatory compromise

A monorail camera has the most movements and usually more accessory options. Good for architecture and "product" shots. But they are a pain in the ass to hike with. Best for studio or location use. A field camera is a great general purpose camera. If you're working in a studio most of the time a monorail is an obvious choice. If you only work on location the field camera with good movements pulls ahead. My Chamonix 045N will do everything you mentioned.

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!