Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Which field camera for usage with 90mm lens

Which field camera for usage with 90mm lens

Hi,

I'm looking into buying my first LF camera, a field camera (mainly due to its size), with the intention to use it with some 90mm lens. Movements are the main reason why I'm buying it. Due to their beds, I dont know which field camera can enable me a decent range of movements and which accessories (like recessed lens boards) are needed. Field camera caught my attention due to being somewhat cheap and portable.In case you have tried or know some which will work with no major restriction in camera movements I would very much appreciate your info.
    Thanks!

Re: Which field camera for usage with 90mm lens

I use a 90mm with my Toyo AX without any issues.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

I have a Linhof Super Technika IV with a Schneider Super Angulon 90mm F/8 with a recessed board. Using such a huge 90mm on the Technika IV is a bit awkward but manageable. I don't use it that much, but if 90mm were my choice lens, I'd go for a Technika V the next time.

Kerry Thalmann has some great suggestions for smaller, lightweight lenses, including 90mm, but they are not that easy to come by. http://www.thalmann.com/largeformat/lightwei.htm

I'm pretty sure most standard 4x5 field cameras can handle a 90mm lens with decent movements. Depending on your budget, you can find a good Toyo 45A II, Linhof Technika V or a Wista 45SP fairly easily on the used market.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter De Smidt View Post
    I use a 90mm with my Toyo AX without any issues.
    Which lens are you using? Are you using it with a special lens board?

@Benjamin,

How much recessed board needs to be recessed for Technika IV?

(Shrek)

I had some difficulty using a 90/5.6 on a Zone VI (not sure whuch model), because of the small lensboard size. I had to remove the rear element to mount the lens board, remove the camera back then reach in through the bellows to reattach the rear element. PITA. But I did get reasonable movements.

Joel Edmondson

The Wista SP. VX, D are not great with a 90mm. They can be used straight-on but don't allow much movement and, even with a recessed board are not ideal. Best camera I have seen with a 90mm is the Calumet (CC402?) which is a monorail (admittedly short monorail) and can be had for about $150. The Wisner Tech Field (with normal bellows) will work but is a bit of a pain. OK with bag bellows. The Canham DLC is great with virtually all of the short focal length lenses (as well as longer focal lengths) but is quite expensive.
    Joel

No problems with my Chamonix 045N-2 using a 90mm. Recessed board not needed.

@cuypers1807

Initially I thought I was going to purchase Chamonix 045N-2 but its price (1500$) combined with 30% of tax made me look towards something more affordable.

Quote Originally Posted by AJ Edmondson View Post
    The Wista SP. VX, D are not great with a 90mm. They can be used straight-on but don't allow much movement and, even with a recessed board are not ideal. Best camera I have seen with a 90mm is the Calumet (CC402?) which is a monorail (admittedly short monorail) and can be had for about $150. The Wisner Tech Field (with normal bellows) will work but is a bit of a pain. OK with bag bellows. The Canham DLC is great with virtually all of the short focal length lenses (as well as longer focal lengths) but is quite expensive.
    Joel
    Are there any restrictions with Wista SP in terms of movement with 90mm? Do I need a recessed lens board?

As for now it seems Wista SP and Toyo AX are in the mix.

Linhof Technikas have work well for David Muench and so many other Landscape Photographers for decades. Many similar cameras on the marketplace. A lot of lightweight wooden cameras will have the movements you think you want.
    Or, try an older wide angle Calumet monorail. Easy to work with, lightweight and designed for wide angle lenses - a choice many Architectural photographers used for a long time.
    ” Never attribute to inspiration that which can be adequately explained by delusion”.

I never use the Wista because mine has a small problem in the back - and I do prefer the feel of the Technika -, but, as you can see, plenty of range with the movements (rise shown with the 90mm).

After that, of course, it's a matter of making sure you have a large enough image circle to do the movements you want to do.

If you were in Montreal I'd let you take it out for a spin.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210706_114027.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	50.8 KB 
ID:	217352
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210706_115953.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	57.5 KB 
ID:	217353