Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Leaving Kodak for Ilford paper developer

Leaving Kodak for Ilford paper developer

Today I mixed yet another contaminated (brown) batch of Kodak Dektol. I finally reached a point of frustration which is driving me to try an Ilford paper developer. I primarily print on Ilford Multigrade IV RC Deluxe. Any suggestions on an Ilford product similar to Dektol.

I appreciate your help.

Re: Leaving Kodak for Ilford

I went from Ilford Multigrade Paper Developer (Diluted 1+9) to mixing my own D72 (Dektol) 1+2 purely because it costs me so much to ship liquids.
    I'm merely an amateur hobbyist, but I can't see any difference between the two.

Like you, I won't buy Dektol again, after the mess "Kodak" made of their chemistry in recent times. I'm making my own ID-78 (a warm tone developer) from scratch now. Its cheap and easy.

I like PQ
    Tin Can

Ilford Multigrade will produce virtually identical results on most papers, as will Bromophen.

Quote Originally Posted by Fred V View Post
    Today I mixed yet another contaminated (brown) batch of Kodak Dektol. I finally reached a point of frustration which is driving me to try an Ilford paper developer. I primarily print on Ilford Multigrade IV RC Deluxe. Any suggestions on an Ilford product similar to Dektol.

I appreciate your help.

Get a copy of M&M Photo LAB index, ring bound edition.
    Lots of GOOD useful information and collection of Developer and MUCH more formula (recipe) to mix up as needed.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/22448228324...EAAOSwIitgto5w

Great advantage to mixing your own darkroom chemistry from powdered chemistry, it is always fresh at the volume of chemistry needed to do the volume of processing needed. Waste reduction and known fresh-good chemistry. Mixing your own is NOT that difficult, if powdered chemistry can be mixed from a bag, mixing the entire chemistry is not that much more difficult.

Get a gram scale, basic lab glassware (500mL & 1000mL beaker/ flask) magnetic stirring plate with magnetic teflon stirring bar, basic set of powdered chemistry.

Having done this for decades, it works far better than purchasing bags of chemistry or bottles of developers that go bad when least expected.

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by Fred V View Post

I appreciate your help.

Just start mixing it yourself. Easy to do. Just need a scale and some chems. You will never have to worry about it again.

My main developer for the last decade or so has been ID78 to which Paul has given a link above. I also mix up other developers at times. Last night I mixed up E72 which is a phenidone/ascorbic acid developer.

I was never fond of Dektol. The tones always looked off to me. Too greenish.

Just don't buy too much Metol at once. It is the ingredient that oxidizes, turns brown and stinks. I often use it when it has turned tan, but if dark brown, out it goes.

I have standardized on Rodinal.
    Liquid, one-shot, keeps forever. Versatile via dilution.
    I don't obsess over grain...I'd rather have sharp grain than mushy grain. I don't have room for a large assortment of chemicals.

Quote Originally Posted by Dugan View Post
    I have standardized on Rodinal.
    Liquid, one-shot, keeps forever. Versatile via dilution.
    I don't obsess over grain...I'd rather have sharp grain than mushy grain. I don't have room for a large assortment of chemicals.
    The OP was asking for suggestions for an alternative to Dektol. I doubt Rodinal would work as a substitute. (and Rodinal does NOT last "forever". I've found a half-full bottle will expire within 8-10 months.)