Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best developer one-shot for T-grain films in Jobo processor at 75 degree

Best developer one-shot for T-grain films in Jobo processor at 75 degree

Hello everyone. As the title suggests, I am looking for the best development for T-grain films (Kodak TMAX 100 & 400) to use in my JOBO CPP. I really liked the KODAK XTOL 1 + 2 but this gave me a lot of problems of conservation. I prepared a gallon for use at a dilution 1 + 2 gave me problems sudden death
    I usually print with diffuse light enlarger so I'd like have a gradient 0.59 circa.
    I development at 75 degrees all year round as the summer is pretty hot to me and so I prefer to keep the temperature a little more high.

Thank you all for your consideration.

Re: Best developer one-shot for T-grain films in Jobo processor at 75 degree

Ilford DDX? I get good results with Tmax and Delta etc in my Jobo.

Quote Originally Posted by foen View Post
    Hello everyone. As the title suggests, I am looking for the best development for T-grain films (Kodak TMAX 100 & 400) to use in my JOBO CPP. I really liked the KODAK XTOL 1 + 2 but this gave me a lot of problems of conservation. I prepared a gallon for use at a dilution 1 + 2 gave me problems sudden death
    I usually print with diffuse light enlarger so I'd like have a gradient 0.59 circa.
    I development at 75 degrees all year round as the summer is pretty hot to me and so I prefer to keep the temperature a little more high.

Thank you all for your consideration.
    Why did you choose Xtol instead of T-max developer? The T-max developer concentrate lasts years. You can mix it up just before you use it one-shot.

Because I dont know the developer. I didnt try it.
    Another one , I only find the 1:4 times

We've known for a while now that the cause of XTOL "sudden death" is mixing with water that contains iron. Mixing with steam distilled water, and diluting just before use with steam distilled water, "solves the problem". There's plenty of information about it on this forum. Search around.

I've had XTOL last at long as 12 months (It might have lasted longer, but I finally used it all). In glass wine bottles, with vacu-vin stoppers.

And I use XTOL at 1+3 with TMY2, in a Jobo 3010 tank, on a CPP-2. I've never had a failure, but I've always used steam distilled water.

XTOL and Jobo processing give outstanding results with the Tmax films. This shouldn't be a surprise since the R&D for XTOL was done using Jobos for rotary processing, according to Silvia Zadwicki and Dick Dickerson, who did much of the R&D on XTOL for Kodak.

Since I've always had outstanding results with XTOL and Jobo processing, I've not had any incentive to explore other developers, so I can't help you out there. What I can do, is warn you away from HC-110. HC-110 is quite active, and doesn't respond well to rotary processing.

Bruce Watson

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Watson View Post
    We've known for a while now that the cause of XTOL "sudden death" is mixing with water that contains iron. Mixing with steam distilled water, and diluting just before use with steam distilled water, "solves the problem". There's plenty of information about it on this forum. Search around.

I've had XTOL last at long as 12 months (It might have lasted longer, but I finally used it all). In glass wine bottles, with vacu-vin stoppers.

And I use XTOL at 1+3 with TMY2, in a Jobo 3010 tank, on a CPP-2. I've never had a failure, but I've always used steam distilled water.

XTOL and Jobo processing give outstanding results with the Tmax films. This shouldn't be a surprise since the R&D for XTOL was done using Jobos for rotary processing, according to Silvia Zadwicki and Dick Dickerson, who did much of the R&D on XTOL for Kodak.

Since I've always had outstanding results with XTOL and Jobo processing, I've not had any incentive to explore other developers, so I can't help you out there. What I can do, is warn you away from HC-110. HC-110 is quite active, and doesn't respond well to rotary processing.
    Thank you bruce for your very complete reply. I prepared XTOL with 'normal' water.
    The negatives are usually with very low contrast with times like 8 minutes (1:2 at 74 degrees) according with the german pdf .

I used to use XTOL and loved it with T-grain films, but when I switched to the Jobo system, I started using Pyrocat-HD. Like XTOL, Pyrocat produces very fine grain, but is less expensive, more convenient as a liquid stock, has a longer shelf life, and the proportional stain makes negatives suited for both silver gelatin and alt-process prints.

Xtol and Pyrocat are terrific. So is DS-10.

DS-10
    Water 700ml
    Sodium Sulfite 75g
    TEA 10ml
    Ascorbic Acid 8g
    Dimezone S 0.15g
    salicylic Acid 1g
    Boric Acid 4g
    water to make 1 liter.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

...I really liked the KODAK XTOL 1 + 2 but this gave me a lot of problems of conservation. I prepared a gallon for use at a dilution 1 + 2 gave me problems sudden death...
    Do not waste time, money and effort searching for another developer. Instead, read this post

and invest your resources into using the materials and practices it describes, then enjoy the best available general purpose developer, i.e. XTOL. Persistence pays.

Thank you all folks. I have only the dubt for the consistancy and mantainment.
    The german pdf of xtol is reliable for jobo without presoak? It seems to be very short times w/ the new emulsions. Thank you