Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Leaving Kodak for Ilford paper developer

Re: Leaving Kodak for Ilford paper developer

Clayton works for me.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

I've used Ilford Bromophen for decades, I love it no metol, it's a PQ type. A 5 L package of Bromophen will make 20 L of working solution. Very clean, keeps very well in full bottles.
    I'm through with Kodak branded chemistry. Plenty of as good or better. Maybe things will improve. The brown Dektol shows how bad their vendor base is.

I use Moersch eco 4812, insanely good, deep blacks, shelf life unsurpassed, just great. For both multigrade and fixed papers. https://www.moersch-photochemie.de/c...iv/110/lang:en

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

Mixing it yourself isn't a big deal, I used to have my high school students do it. Mind you, it was at the height of the Harry Potter movies, so we called it "Developing Potion". And we labeled Metol as "Eye of Newt" and Sodium Sulfite was "powdered Unicorn horn", and we waved wands around a lot while mixing it...

The Physics teacher once complained about me...
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

Re: Leaving Kodak for Ilford

Quote Originally Posted by Doremus Scudder View Post
    The same approach applies to film developers as well, however

D-76 and D-23 are easy to mix from scratch and there are lots of other commercial formulas available as concentrates or kits (HC-110 substitutes from many manufacturers, PMK, Rodinal, Pyrocat, etc., etc.)
    I called the "Formulary" asking what ingredients I needed to mix my own Dektol but because it is proprietary they did not know which ingredients are included.

Fred

Dektol is D-72. To make 1l stock solution:

800ml water at 40-50C. (distilled water may be preferable depending on your water quality). Add each of the following ingredients in this order. Each ingredient should be fully dissolved (by stirring) before adding the next.

3g Metol
    45g Sodium sulfite anhydrous
    12g Hydroquinone
    80g Sodium carbonate monohydrate
    2g Potassium bromide

Add cold water to make 1l.

For use, dilute 1+2 with water (1 part stock + 2 parts water)

Quote Originally Posted by Fred V View Post
    I called the "Formulary" asking what ingredients I needed to mix my own Dektol but because it is proprietary they did not know which ingredients are included.

Fred

Quote Originally Posted by Michael R View Post
    Dektol is D-72. To make 1l stock solution:

800ml water at 40-50C. (distilled water may be preferable depending on your water quality). Add each of the following ingredients in this order. Each ingredient should be fully dissolved (by stirring) before adding the next.

3g Metol
    45g Sodium sulfite anhydrous
    12g Hydroquinone
    80g Sodium carbonate monohydrate
    2g Potassium bromide

Add cold water to make 1l.

For use, dilute 1+2 with water (1 part stock + 2 parts water)
    Thank You!

...another Moersch 4812 user here for the reasons Otto mentions above - plus its great for working in large, open trays...and when it does eventually die - it goes fast! Also make some use of Moersch SE-6 cold tone developer...but specifically with Ilford Warm Tone (fiber) VC - just stunning for certain images, results can almost remind me of the old, cadmium-laced Portriga Rapid.

Look up the formula for Neutrol (Agfa 100) @ 1:1 or 1:2 dilution... Economical to make, neutral in tone, lasts long in use and bottle...

Tames contrast of cold tone papers, while opening up sparkling mid-tones without heavy blacks and a well modulated look, and slightly cools warm tone papers with little cast...

Great "universal" paper developer... ;-)

Steve K

Quote Originally Posted by John Layton View Post
    Also make some use of Moersch SE-6 cold tone developer...but specifically with Ilford Warm Tone (fiber) VC - just stunning for certain images, results can almost remind me of the old, cadmium-laced Portriga Rapid.
    When I think of old Portriga I think of warm brownish tones. But per Moersch, SE-6 with MGW creates a cooler tone image. On a scale of Blueish cold to Neutral to warm Brown where would this combo fall in your experience?
    The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
    http://www.searing.photography