Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: I'm not sure if it's a popular size, but can I get some 5x7 camera recommendations?

Re: I'm not sure if it's a popular size, but can I get some 5x7 camera recommendation

Quote Originally Posted by manfrominternet View Post
    W. . . I've also read similar things about the Gibellini cameras. I'd consider the Deardorff, but every available one that I've seen online has looked quite a bit run down. . . .
    There may be a very good reason for that: Users may have found them to be great for making photographs. Pretty cameras often sit in a closet because they can't compete with that.

Re: I'm not sure if it's a popular size, but can I get some 5x7 camera recommendation

Quote Originally Posted by neil poulsen View Post
    Good for landscape maybe, but not if you want to photograph architecture.

I've owned a Deardorff 5x7, and it would be my last choice.........
    Yup, just awful.....guess that's why I own 6 of them! If you want to photograph architecture, get a Sinar F. Only own 3 of those!

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Y View Post
    I'll ask the question again....realistically what will 5x7" do for him that his current 4x5" won't.
    Aspect ratio.

If he is shooting color exclusively and stitching, 4x5 will surely be easier from a logistical standpoint. As an exclusive B&W Guy the answer is "real estate" and aspect ratio. Also perfect size for contact printing

https://www.icp.org/browse/archive/c.../all/all/all/0

https://www.wbur.org/npr/173140765/t...hitects-famous

The Norma is the choice of many Architectural Photographers
    Flikr Photos Here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/18134483@N04/

“The secret of getting ahead is getting started.”
    ― Mark Twain

Give him a 1.75 times larger negative. L

Since the OP is in Los Angeles, there should be any number of opportunities to rent or borrow some 5x7 equipment to see how it goes...

Quote Originally Posted by paulbarden View Post
    Aspect ratio.
    Since he's already scanning & stitching with a digital camera.....he could change the aspect ratio as well..... non?

Quote Originally Posted by Luis-F-S View Post
    Give him a 1.75 times larger negative. L
    just asking to what end? I've got a Durst 138...so i know what it does for me. But what real advantage is there for an exclusively colour photographer who is scanning and stitching with a digital camera?? (really not trolling, but asking why someone would choose to move up to 5x7 with this hybrid method in mind)
    Last edited by Greg Y; 4-Jul-2021 at 15:06.

For the same reason I went to 8x10. Four times the real estate and I do have both a Durst 138 and a DeVere 5108.

Luis ....to clarify my ignorant question..... how much real difference will it make for the OP? since he's scanning & stitching negative with a digital camera and not printing billboard size? BTW 5x7" is IMO a wonderful size. I do by the way understand the premise for darkroom printing.... & really my question is about the output for the original poster ..not the negative real estate.
    Last edited by Greg Y; 5-Jul-2021 at 15:12.