Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I'm not sure if it's a popular size, but can I get some 5x7 camera recommendations?

I'm not sure if it's a popular size, but can I get some 5x7 camera recommendations?

Hi all,

I've been shooting 4x5 for a number of years now and I absolutely love it, however, I'd like to make the jump to shooting larger negatives. After seriously considering going the 8x10 route, I found that a 5x7 might very well be my ideal camera, especially in terms of size, cost of film, and level of detail rendered. Since I'm fairly undereducated with all things 5x7, what are some things I should consider before purchasing a 5x7 camera? Can you guys recommend some quality 5x7 cameras that cost under $3K that will last for, say, a lifetime?

If it helps, I'm primarily a landscape/architectural photographer who uses color negative and transparency almost exclusively. The 4x5 camera I currently use is a Linhof Technikardan 45S. That said, it'd be nice if my potential future 5x7 camera would accept the Linhof-style lens boards that are used with my LF lenses. While I don't drum scan, I use my Sony a7R IV to pixel-shift "scan" my 4x5 negatives in 3 passes (in 3rds) and stich the 3 pixel-shifted files together in Photoshop, creating one massive 2gb "scanned" negative file that, in my humble opinion, rivals a drum scan. I'd likely be doing the same with any 5x7 negatives.

Many thanks!

Re: I'm not sure if it's a popular size, but can I get some 5x7 camera recommendation

Deardorff

not a perfect camera, but mine is from 1938, I think it was the last good deal on eBay

It has wear, but somebody renewed it with new bellows, a new aluminum base, new GG, adjusted GG and polished, nobody was bidding 2 years ago

then I got it with front assembled wrong, just a matter of switching the hardware to correct, no parts needed

It has no front swing as designed and made, fine with me
    Tin Can

Re: I'm not sure if it's a popular size, but can I get some 5x7 camera recommendation

Second on the 5x7 Deardorff. You can get a Linhof board adapter. Can get a 4x5 back as well.

They work well and last a long time.
    ” Never attribute to inspiration that which can be adequately explained by delusion”.

Does your price rule out the Gibellini P57

I saw an eBay sale a bit above, and new it must be more expensive. I have seen a metal Gibellini 8x10" in action, and it was nice and stable.

Canham MQC 5x7, available new and used. Made in the US. https://www.canhamcameras.com/

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mqcside.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	12.6 KB 
ID:	217133

Choices of this format cameras are well discussed here in this forum. I was on the same route few years ago, so I invested in to 5x7 and building up 7x11, “jumping” over 8x10. If you considering older wooden field cameras keep in mind there are few types of construction - flatbed (Kodak 2d, Korona, Conley, Agfa Ansco etc) and folding (Deardorff, Thorton, japanese, etc), tailboards are out of consideration to me. Each type has strong and weak points. Cameras kn production now are mainly folding type.
    I ended up with Sinar 5x7 for studio and heaver lenses and Deardorff Special for longer hikes.
    Deardorff Special with front swings has significantly more weight than Deardorff without front swings, so called V5 OS.

Quote Originally Posted by Willie View Post
    Second on the 5x7 Deardorff. . . .
    Good for landscape maybe, but not if you want to photograph architecture.

I've owned a Deardorff 5x7, and it would be my last choice. You'll get very little rise using the bellows, for either a 90mm SW or a 120mm SW. So, you have to rely on the rising front, which gives you only an inch of rise.

Another problem, the bellows is so tightly compacted at those focal lengths, it's close to the film. So for me, flare could be a problem with light reflecting off the bellows. But then, the interior of my camera, the bellows weren't the blackest of black. So, maybe that was the source of the problem. But still, the bellows was closer to the film than I liked.

Quote Originally Posted by djdister View Post
    Canham MQC 5x7, available new and used. Made in the US. https://www.canhamcameras.com/

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mqcside.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	12.6 KB 
ID:	217133
    Much better, in my view. You have the choice of interchangeable bellows for super wide lenses.

Howsas abouta Linhof Color Kardan?
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

I'd seriously consider a 5x7 Sinar Norma. It is just a pleasure to work with. When I was looking for one, several 5x7 Norma's were going for more than buying a complete 4x5 Norma and then also a 5x7 conversion for it. Never figured that one out....

Are you planning to shoot color with the 5x7? If so make sure you look at the 5x7 film options.