Thread: Greetings from New Orleans

Greetings from New Orleans

After years adrift in the wilderness of iPhoneography I have returned to film after the birth of a child and an unpleasant time with digital backups. Fifteen years ago I had a dark room, and a nice medium format camera, but eventually the cost crept up on me, and I sold it all off. Recently I began experimenting with cyanotypes and other alternative photography methods, which quickly lead me to large format. Contact printing is my favorite type of printmaking, and large format is the only suitable method for me to do this type of work. I looked into buying an inkjet printer so I could print digital negatives, but then I would just need to buy another digital camera in addition to a fancy inkjet printer.

I'm about to embark on modifying a Polaroid 110A to take 4x5 (I have the camera, just looking for the right conversion kit, if you have recommendations!) and I am looking to move up to a Speed Graphic to make quality portraits of my slowly growing family and slices of life here in the swamps.

This forum is by far the most helpful place on the internet for this purpose, and I am glad to be here!

Re: Greetings from New Orleans

Welcome!

I think we can help
    Tin Can

I didn't realize you were a psychiatrist, Mr Can.

The gates to this asylum are always open. We certainly welcome new admissions!

Welcome Patience - I suspect that your story fits many of us as we experienced the analogue-digital convergence.
    As for cyanotypes, don't discount shooting medium format film. I often enjoy making tiny blue jewels from negatives made with my TLR's and display them on miniature black easels.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/52893762/bigger4b.jpg

Welcome!
    Philip Ulanowsky

Sine scientia ars nihil est. (Without science/knowledge, art is nothing.)
    www.imagesinsilver.art
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/156933346@N07/

Greetings from NH. The people from this forum are smart, helpful, goodlooking, and wonderful.
    Principal Unix System Engineer, Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems

Welcome from North of the lake

New Orleans, LA

Welcome from New Orleans! The New Orleans Photo Alliance has just installed a darkroom with a 4x5 enlarger and an Alt Process area. https://neworleansphotoalliance.org/

I think the soft launch is in August but contact them if you need a darkroom space and like-minded folks to work with.

Hi everyone! Thanks for the warm welcome. Interesting and reassuring that we've got two more locals here! Thom, maybe I'll look into the photo alliance. I was never thrilled with the darkroom process, but I also think it was because I was working with such a small negative (35mm) most of the time and the rather low resolution bothered me. Medium format was great but I always preferred very small prints to retain as much detail as possible. I think the biggest I would ever print is 8x10, and were I even to do that...it would probably just be a contact print of an 8x10 negative. I don't have quite the patience of Ansel Adams, but then again, that's my problem.

Randy, great idea! I use Photographer's Formulary mix and BFK Rives paper, which has pretty pronounced texture though -- I am worried about the texture working against image detail. But I'll try it out!