Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: White Rim Road - Mice?

Re: White Rim Road - Mice?

Quote Originally Posted by dave4242 View Post
    Hi Jerry, are you just talking about the vent button whether its pulling from outside or inside?
    thanks
    Maybe "recycle" was the wrong word. Make that the "recirculate" button.
    https://thenewswheel.com/your-cars-a...ols-explained/

Hey Bob, Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by biedron View Post
    I asked about this on an overlanding forum I frequent. Someone replied that they did the White Rim in both February and August and neither time had any issues with mice. They had heard of others having mice issues however.

It’s probably an old wives tale, but I have heard that if you leave the hood open at night, mice and other critters are less likely to invade your vehicle.

Hope this helps

Bob
    I've got a second home in a rural area about 35 miles outside of Flagstaff AZ. I had mice do $2600 damage to the wiring under the hood of my truck. Ever since, on the recommendation of my mechanic I leave the hood open at night and haven’t had any problem since. The one time I let my guard down the mice started nesting, but fortunately I caught it before they did any damage.

Roger

Drew Wiley

This is a drought year. Hanta virus outbreaks are tied to exceptionally moist years of abundant forage when the mouse population explodes. It isn't restricted to the southwest, as fatal breakouts in Yosemite campgrounds and near Mammoth Mtn have demonstrated, and even in abandoned old mining towns here on the coast. It's no doubt endemic to certain widespread areas, but only gets traction under certain circumstances. Navajo legends considered deer mice taboo; "only a mouse can kill a great warrior" (hanta tends to afflict people in the prime of life, in excellent health, rather than the young or old). But no kind of rodent poo is exactly a good idea to have around, health-wise. Time for some chlorine bleach.

Critters that get under the car hood? When he got old, my dad didn't use his old GMC truck in winter, and just left it unattended in the garage. When we tried firing it up one spring and couldn't get it going, after briefly sleuthing under the hood, we discovered that a pack rat had gnawed through the air filter and stuffed acorns into the carburetor. But that wasn't half as bad as the fact he'd left a window open all winter, and the cat hopped in there to pluck and eat every bird it caught the whole season. Thick piles of feathers and small bones in there. But all of that trouble pales to the time a skunk clawed it way into the hose heating duct system of the house and decided to raise its family in that nice cozy spot. Around the same time, another pack rat built a whole twig nest in the duct above the fume hood in the kitchen.

Never a dull moment, critter-wise. A possum even somehow once got under the lid of the washing machine and went halfway through the wash cycle before we discovered him in there. He wasn't amused, and certainly didn't play possum in that instance. Big, fat, and hissing; but at least he was clean. We wrapped him in a coat to keep him from biting; and turned him loose. Moral of the story : it's risky to be as dumb as a possum. At least that's one thing that country living teaches you, if you aren't as dumb as a possum yourself.

Thanks Roger

Didelphimorph with a prehensile tail...what more would one want...especially if it was washed...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF0212.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	104.7 KB 
ID:	217152

I'm never encountered anything like that anywhere near Moab, but I haven't been up there in years.

Drew Wiley

Who needs mice when Moab is already overrun with a plague of trail bicyclists? Right around the time that was starting to happen, and the surrounding area was getting "loved to death", and Moab itself was suddenly mushrooming into a tourist mecca, a local cashier in the little grocery market said, "If you see a bicycle, run over it". Their little town would never be the same. Now their back country rules are a little stricter involving designated routes, to spare the soft sandstone wear grooves etc from the constant flow of cyclists. But a herd of climbers was causing the same kind of damage by rappelling off natural sandstone arches and so forth. It's gotten like Telluride - a place to avoid if you want a real outdoor experience. Or just gas up there and move on to somewhere quieter.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    Who needs mice when Moab is already overrun with a plague of trail bicyclists? Right around the time that was starting to happen, and the surrounding area was getting "loved to death", and Moab itself was suddenly mushrooming into a tourist mecca, a local cashier in the little grocery market said, "If you see a bicycle, run over it". Their little town would never be the same. Now their back country rules are a little stricter involving designated routes, to spare the soft sandstone wear grooves etc from the constant flow of cyclists. But a herd of climbers was causing the same kind of damage by rappelling off natural sandstone arches and so forth. It's gotten like Telluride - a place to avoid if you want a real outdoor experience. Or just gas up there and move on to somewhere quieter.
    Oh and don’t forget about all the idiots jumping of the cliffs with parachutes. At least they have a short lifespan.

Roger

Drew Wiley

My nephew had to rescue a chutist who jumped off the top of Half Dome in Yosemite. Took about 10 hrs to get them off the cliff, with the chute barely clinging to a tiny tree halfway down. That's a long long time to have both a shattered hip and extreme anxiety. He and a climbing pal just happened to be there on the face when it happened; but it took them two full hours to traverse over to where the accident victim was and at least get them securely anchored to rock. The full rescue took another 8 hrs. And since it was a rule-breaking incident, that person probably had to repay for the cost of the rescue, including helicopter expenses.