Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: White Rim Road - Mice?

Re: White Rim Road - Mice?

It will depend on how many fully satisfied coyotes, hawks, rattlesnakes, and so on, there are between now and August.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Thanks Vaughn...

And a lot depends on how much left there is for them to eat after a spring/early summer of feasting.

I worked out a log cabin for a decade or so. Inside walls had been covered with thin plywood...which had turned the curved spaces between the logs and the plywood into a mouse condo. Never slept inside there, although I had to put up with bears and rattlesnakes occasionally while sleeping on the ground outside the cabin. There was one camp in the wilderness (near an isolated spring) that one had to be careful of leaving anything out at night -- an active pack rat was known to make off with socks, etc. I did (try to) chase down a bear who stole a bag of food one night at the same camp. Got enough back to stay out without going hungry.

But the biggest hit I ever took was a gang of ground squirrels that chewed into my pack in the Grand Canyon and emptied it "like a bucket brigade" as someone who saw it happen described it. Minimal food for dinner and breakfast, but nothing to eat for the hike back up to the rim the next day. Gone were the four dates I had saved for the hike up -- bought while hitchhiking through Death Valley on my way to the Grand Canyon...the little bastards!
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Thanks Vaughn

Sleep in the 4Runner and you'll be fine. Not an issue for me in 2016, but times may have changed.

hey karl i was gonna ping ya about that, def planning on sleeping in the 4runner after seeing that video...

If you’re in a tent, campsite mice love the straps that hold the tent to the stakes.

The sweat and salts that accumulate on the straps is delicious, they say.

If you wake and hear scurrying outside, just slap your hand down on the tent floor – they’ll scurry away, but they’ll be back.

Maybe you can bring some cat fur and rub it on the straps. ;^)

Quote Originally Posted by karl french View Post
    Sleep in the 4Runner and you'll be fine. Not an issue for me in 2016, but times may have changed.
    Just a note on this. A few recent years ago, my 4Runner had some mice get into it while parked in my garage. Turned out they found access to the glove box via the 'recycle' duct (that's the duct that is best closed when the interior is way too hot when starting the vehicle so as to get the AC to cool faster). In the process, they chewed up the cabin air filter as well. I learned to close that duct every time before turning the engine off in the garage (or any other time when it seems sensible).
    Last edited by Jerry Bodine; 29-Jun-2021 at 15:29.

Hi Jerry, are you just talking about the vent button whether its pulling from outside or inside?
    thanks

I asked about this on an overlanding forum I frequent. Someone replied that they did the White Rim in both February and August and neither time had any issues with mice. They had heard of others having mice issues however.

It’s probably an old wives tale, but I have heard that if you leave the hood open at night, mice and other critters are less likely to invade your vehicle.

Hope this helps

Bob