Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Why View Camera & Sheet Film Today, in our here and now?

Re: Why View Camera & Sheet Film Today, in our here and now?

The Foveon sensor has been around in some form for several years, and as Bernie suggests, there are few choices without sever limitations, other than H6D-100c and IQ4, both out of bounds for those of modest means, but each with perhaps more accurate color? A new Rodenstock 90MM for the XF will cost you $13k which is high-end Leica territory. Not for the faint of heart nor shallow pockets.

I am considering a new Shen Hao with 350MM bellows and rear rise (at least) to supplement my current long term photo projects, in the meantime waiting impatiently for that digital holy grail (and it ain't GFX). I'll get someone to help with the carrying part. My heavy Toyo and Linhof 4x5s will continue to attract spiders in the basement (both needing new bellows).

The Hasselblad H6D-100c advertise at 400MP is ... marketing. To achieve what they are AD-ing required capturing more than one image of an object with near zero movement then effectively stacked in software. Sensor is mechanically moved by a piezo position_er to created the color shifted set of images. LOTs can go wrong with this approach and simply not suitable at all for objects that are not dead still.

https://www.hasselblad.com/h-system/...0c-multi-shot/

Phase One IQ4 is more of the same stuff Phase One has been doing for years. Intrinsic problems with trying to reproduce accurate color with a single imager remains. Nyquist–Shannon holds, Moiré effect holds and Nature will not be denied. Three color video camera technology goes back to the 1950's.
    http://www.earlytelevision.org/Reita...r_cameras.html

Question becomes, when will this happen for digital still cameras?

No thanks on that Rodenstock 90mm for the XF, as there are already enough optics previously made that could-would equal it's optical performance. Challenge becomes the lens mount and interface which has become one of the prime means for brands to exclude alternatives and force users from straying too far from their "farm"..

Another shame_less plug, Toyo or Linhof bellows tired, knackered with photons escaping or entering without a pass? Sinar bellows interchange in seconds with an easy and plentiful supply at very modest cost. The prime wear item on a view camera is the bellows. Image stopper would be a shattered ground glass.. Other than these two item, view cameras are mostly problem free.

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by pdmoylan View Post
    The Foveon sensor has been around in some form for several years, and as Bernie suggests, there are few choices without sever limitations, other than H6D-100c and IQ4, both out of bounds for those of modest means, but each with perhaps more accurate color? A new Rodenstock 90MM for the XF will cost you $13k which is high-end Leica territory. Not for the faint of heart nor shallow pockets.

I am considering a new Shen Hao with 350MM bellows and rear rise (at least) to supplement my current long term photo projects, in the meantime waiting impatiently for that digital holy grail (and it ain't GFX). I'll get someone to help with the carrying part. My heavy Toyo and Linhof 4x5s will continue to attract spiders in the basement (both needing new bellows).

I just started shooting film in April and shoot half frame to 4x5. I came to this from astro imaging for a year. I got so, so sick of sitting in front of a computer... a different computer to the computer i sit in front of all day at work, but still a computer.
    I'm now printing in a "darkroom", my garage (not on full-ish moon nights) and I'm still in the phase of looking at negatives with wonder, prints developing front of my eyes in wonder. I don't think I'm alone in enjoying being away from a computer screen in my spare time.
    Speed Graphic Pacemaker
    Schneider Krueznach Symmar-S 135mm

Allow me to flip the script here for a moment: Why does one need to justify the use of a certain tool or medium to others?
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

We don't

I, especially way into retirement do whatever I want whenever

only one real goal

stay out of jail

but that has always been my mantra

Today, eagerly await delivery of 3rd Imagon

just as a child, I loved to buy stuff off cereal boxes

denouement

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    Allow me to flip the script here for a moment: Why does one need to justify the use of a certain tool or medium to others?
    Tin Can

Learn "Sunny 16" so no batteries are required.
    Think of all the money you'll save!
    You'll also be able to take photographs during Carrington events
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

We are due for a Carrington event

I shot 35mm for 4+ years using Sunny 16, a photo instructor insisted I get a new camera with a meter 1999, I really liked AF

I always test myself with Sun 1t before meter

Quote Originally Posted by John Kasaian View Post
    Learn "Sunny 16" so no batteries are required.
    Think of all the money you'll save!
    You'll also be able to take photographs during Carrington events
    Tin Can

Exactly I tired of this argument 10 years ago.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Gittings View Post
    Exactly I tired of this argument 10 years ago.
    More than twenty (and quite possibly thirty) ago for me!

...Why does one need to justify the use of a certain tool or medium to others?
    One doesn't need to. Those who reply to the question choose to. Perhaps in order to induce frustration by providing a well-justified "no reason" response.