Thread: Tripod refurbish procedures

Lascassas, TN

Tripod refurbish procedures

I found a Bogen 3036 tripod with a 3047 head that had been stored in a barn. It is dirty and all the movements are stiff. What are the recommended procedures to clean and lubricate it?

Over the year I have found without procedures, I tend to break more things than I fix.

Thanks
    Bill Kumpf

Re: Tripod refurbish procedures

Bill, you made me laugh!

The only way to learn is to just try your best, with caution and thinking before breaking

I will say this, some never get the 'touch'. I used to train mechanics my way, it took a year to get most going in a positive direction

Clean it first with soap and water, get ALL mud off

but don't move the parts at all

Then gently see what moves a little bit

Then use a spray thin oil at the joints of parts that may move

Check and report
    Tin Can

I can't speak for the tripod legs, but I've got two very old Manfrotto 3 way heads that I cleaned up recently. They have to be at least 30 years old, and they were very stiff working.

I don't recall having any difficulty taking them apart, cleaning, and lubing. The operation appeared to be self evident during disassembly. If there was anything strange or unusual I'm sure I would have made note of it. I also don't think there's anything you could actually break on these things unless you're a complete butcher.

Go for it!

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

On YouTube there are a couple of vids on overhaul of the 3047 head. I found them very instructive and good guidance. Note, however, that there were half a dozen different versions, each with minor design variations. The most difficult part was getting the nameplate off without breaking the plastic tabs. I used a medium damping grease. Bought that from Amazon, about $20 I think. Overhaul took me less than 1 hour and it was as good as new.

Lascassas, TN

Too much program manager left in me. Gather all the information, plan your approach, assemble the materials, turn the wrenches.
    The leg set clean up with wet cloth and a little WD40 on a couple of fasteners.
    Bill Kumpf

My old Velbon CF tripod dropped all the bits out of the compression fitting on one section of led. Managed to find most of them in the grass and got it mostly back together and working for that outing, but it was never "right".

Refurbished it by corresponding with folks at a Velbon distributer. The parts were not too expensive, but they said they could fix it there for a fee I found acceptable. After keeping it a month or so, they contacted me and said they had made a mistake and couldn't do the agreed on work because my tripod was now a discontinued model, BUT . . .would I accept a refurbished newer model at no additional charge?

Well yes I would.

And that is how I got my Velbon refurbished.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

In case you''re still looking for any parts, check here: https://www.manfrottospares.com/?gcl...BoCXQ4QAvD_BwE
    Philip Ulanowsky

Sine scientia ars nihil est. (Without science/knowledge, art is nothing.)
    www.imagesinsilver.art
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/156933346@N07/

Thanks Phillip, but no.

I basically got what amounts to an open-box ("New-Other"?) current model tripod for $36 along with an apologetic note of explanation.
    Last edited by Drew Bedo; 6-Jul-2021 at 04:33.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Kumpf View Post
    The leg set clean up with wet cloth and a little WD40 on a couple of fasteners.
    Had an old Gitzo that had been in storage for probably 20 years. Everything on it seemed to be stiff. I don't really like WD40, but after wiping pretty much everything with WD40 and then wiping it off with many many paper towels, everything operated smoothly once again.