Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: DIY 8x10 (or larger) Enlarger Chassis

Re: DIY 8x10 (or larger) Enlarger Chassis

Here's an overdue update on the enlarger design, the chassis is finished, and hopefully the light source will be finished soon. I need to fix some electrical issues in the light source, as it seems I got the wrong size resistors, so I've got to do some more measurements, buy the correct ones, and then install them. I also might have to get a new DMX decoder, as I'm getting a weird problem (channels turning on when there's no signal for them to) which it seems to be causing.

Very impressive!

Quote Originally Posted by Ethan View Post
    Here's an overdue update on the enlarger design, the chassis is finished, and hopefully the light source will be finished soon. I need to fix some electrical issues in the light source, as it seems I got the wrong size resistors, so I've got to do some more measurements, buy the correct ones, and then install them. I also might have to get a new DMX decoder, as I'm getting a weird problem (channels turning on when there's no signal for them to) which it seems to be causing.

Tin Can

GEEZE! Back around 2011 or so, the last commercial pro-oriented processing operation, tthat I knew about, here in Houston, "Hot Flash" in Bellaire, closed shop. Over several weeks they sold off their working gear items at going-out-of-business prices. In the end, they had to pay someone to haul off their 10x10 commercial enlarger with all its support stuff.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

Yes, nobody wanted them

Too big, too heavy, too too

But times repeat

I have several in my shed, 1 setup in Darkroom, several 5X7 setup, I think 13 enlargers of all sizes

Lamps were the problem, but the new folk are innovating

None for sale until I am DEAD and family will take over

I salute Ethan!

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Bedo View Post
    GEEZE! Back around 2011 or so, the last commercial pro-oriented processing operation, tthat I knew about, here in Houston, "Hot Flash" in Bellaire, closed shop. Over several weeks they sold off their working gear items at going-out-of-business prices. In the end, they had to pay someone to haul off their 10x10 commercial enlarger with all its support stuff.
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Ethan View Post

Amazing work! I look forward to seeing the bellows and lightsource inplace. You're a wizard!

God I love this stuff!!

Looks fantastic. Inspiring work but can't help musing a bit out loud. Trying to think of how one might save on cost, exploit the benefits of your modular design, since the price looks like it will probably turn out to be somewhat north of the initial estimate. Could the chassis electronics/motors, etc. be simplified somewhat? How much cost savings in a wall mount or table-top version without the need to raise/lower the table (but perhaps not as much as one might think since we still need the control unit); may sound like sacrilege but simpler, perhaps non-RGB LED head (w/above the lens filtration slot) with the option to easily upgrade to a more capable head as resources allow. Will be interesting to see the cost breakdown of the major components of the chassis and head when you get some spare cycles.

Like Randy says, very much appreciate your efforts!

The enlarger chassis and light source are now finished. The negative carrier had some issues, so I've got to make a new negative carrier, but that's the only thing left to do, and I have another negative carrier which will probably work for now.

The enlarger reminded a friend of mine of Gort from The Day the Earth Stood Still, so the enlarger is now named Gort.

For the new negative carrier I created a design based on the same principle as beseler negaflat carriers, and using a clamp design inspired by graflok backs. once the long edges of the negative are clamped between two plates by the graflok style mechanism, a cam is released to allow springs to put tension on one of the clamps and keep the negative taught

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-03-13 at 2.09.28 PM.png 
Views:	19 
Size:	117.0 KB 
ID:	225614

Ethan, good idea on the Neg Stretcher!

Glennview camera makes similar http://www.glennview.com/index.htm

I use 2 Calumet 8X10 glassless Neg Stretchers that are delicate in usage

I have huge Saltzman Neg Stretcher, 5X7 and 8X10 very sturdy

MANY here insist on double glass AN on both or not

I have huge 12X12 AN glass to glass in a set made for nothing I can find