Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: DIY 8x10 (or larger) Enlarger Chassis

Re: DIY 8x10 (or larger) Enlarger Chassis

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	34CB1AFC-89C0-4CCB-8B19-6B037C961CB9.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	16.7 KB 
ID:	219136Click image for larger version. 

Name:	9FDA3301-75F1-4F93-9D0E-B9F22B97EC6B.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	19.3 KB 
ID:	219137
    Some more in progress renders

Name:	enlarger mk2 render 6.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	19.2 KB 
ID:	219166

Name:	enlarger mk2 render 5.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	22.9 KB 
ID:	219167

Some more images of the enlarger, now with the head and lens stage finished. I'm fairly confident the cantilevered weight of the stages is well enough supported in this current design, but I don't have any rails yet to prevent the stages from twisting side to side, I'm still working on figuring out a way to prevent that.

Excellent work, very elegant design. Though I can't help but think it will oscillate if one just looks at it

Name:	Enlarger.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	61.8 KB 
ID:	219168

Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    Excellent work, very elegant design. Though I can't help but think it will oscillate if one just looks at it

Name:	Enlarger.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	61.8 KB 
ID:	219168
    you may be right. There are 2 1x2" extruded aluminum beam which go back into the column that the head is attached to. I think that may be sturdy enough, but it couldn't hurt to add a triangular brace under the head. I may do that

I got a 4x5 enlarger once with a home-made baseboard. It was horrible, see how thin in the middle. Once it started oscillating, it would not stop...you could power a clock from it.
    I made these steel beams to stiffen it.
    E-bay is amazing, because I eventually found the correct baseboard for the enlarger and it has been fine since.

Name:	DSCF1779.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	117.0 KB 
ID:	219171

Name:	DSCF1780.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	82.5 KB 
ID:	219172

Name:	enlarger mk2 render 9.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	25.8 KB 
ID:	219173

Name:	enlarger mk2 render 10.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	21.9 KB 
ID:	219174

Added some more struts to the design

For a show a few years back, I wanted to make some not too large enlargements from three of my 8x10 negatives. Had a spare Durst Laborator column and chassis. Column was mounted countertop high and bolted to the wall. Projected image was to an easel on the floor. The Durst chassis was modified to adapt an 8x10 Sinar Norma. Glass negative stage was very Rube Goldberg with liberal use of Gaffers tape. Light source was a LED lightbox. Contrast controlled by split filter printing with two gel filters used under the lens. Lens was a G-Claron. Memories are that it was a pain to set up and the enlarging times were on the longish side, but I spent 0 dollars on the whole set-up. If I had it to do over again, I would have definitely acquired and adapted a Beseler 810 Cold Light Head or similar to the Durst. Ah yes hindsight.....

Presently shoot a lot of the whole plate format. Has anyone ever heard of an alternative to having to acquire an 8x10 enlarger to work with whole plate negatives? Have considered adapting a 5x7 enlarger to whole plate, but first have to acquire a 5x7 enlarger.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    For a show a few years back, I wanted to make some not too large enlargements from three of my 8x10 negatives. Had a spare Durst Laborator column and chassis. Column was mounted countertop high and bolted to the wall. Projected image was to an easel on the floor. The Durst chassis was modified to adapt an 8x10 Sinar Norma. Glass negative stage was very Rube Goldberg with liberal use of Gaffers tape. Light source was a LED lightbox. Contrast controlled by split filter printing with two gel filters used under the lens. Lens was a G-Claron. Memories are that it was a pain to set up and the enlarging times were on the longish side, but I spent 0 dollars on the whole set-up. If I had it to do over again, I would have definitely acquired and adapted a Beseler 810 Cold Light Head or similar to the Durst. Ah yes hindsight.....

Presently shoot a lot of the whole plate format. Has anyone ever heard of an alternative to having to acquire an 8x10 enlarger to work with whole plate negatives? Have considered adapting a 5x7 enlarger to whole plate, but first have to acquire a 5x7 enlarger.
    whole plate is a full 1.5 inches larger in both directions than 5x7. Most 5x7 enlargers won't have a large enough light source to cover that. I think it will be a lot easier to just get an 8x10 enlarger.

Quote Originally Posted by Ethan View Post
    whole plate is a full 1.5 inches larger in both directions than 5x7. Most 5x7 enlargers won't have a large enough light source to cover that.
    So true... Looked at a 5x7 ZONE VI enlarger to modify, but converting it to a whole plate would less of an adaption and more like major surgery. Have checked Craigslist and similar sites for years for an 8x10 enlarger with no luck. Also posted wanted ads, again with no luck here in Connecticut.