Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Modern Changing Tent?

Modern Changing Tent?

Is anyone making a portable changing tent that's reliable?
    I have an extra-large Harrison tent with the side extensions that I bought many years ago to accommodate ULF.
    But the material has deteriorated to the point that it's more disgusting than old chewing gum. I know nothing is forever, but this is ridiculous.
    I am now faced with the prospect of having to trash what was a very expensive item back in the day. And that just tears me! I don't spend money only to have to throw it away in a few years.
    When I google 'changing tent', it returns only some silly changing rooms intended for putting on a swim suit at the beach without flashing the other beachgoers. Not what I want.
    Surely there must be a solution for loading holders in the field.
    Anybody?

Re: Modern Changing Tent?

Will,
    I don't know about their long-term durability, but I've read some good things about these tents: https://www.ebay.com/itm/19407777669...QAAOSwaCtd15WA
    My own Harrison has lasted 10 years so far, but like yours, it's starting to decay.
    I'll buy another Harrison when the time comes.

I bought my Harrison used thinking the tent had finished degassing, but no.

The best material for a tent I found was in a Frontier bag, but making the pole one self might not be an easy task. I had saved some poles from a child playing tent, so it was doable, but not without two wires upwards fastened somewhere some how. Sold the hole construction for what I paid for the tent $25 ;(

Sent fra min SM-G975F via Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Ari View Post
    Will,
    I don't know about their long-term durability, but I've read some good things about these tents: https://www.ebay.com/itm/19407777669...QAAOSwaCtd15WA
    My own Harrison has lasted 10 years so far, but like yours, it's starting to decay.
    I'll buy another Harrison when the time comes.
    That's interesting Ari. I had not seen it before. Thanks!

Drew Wiley

Harrison has always been the best. The Achilles heel of any tent-like fabric, whether a film tent or camping tent, is that the urethane coatings on nylon or cordura fabric eventually go bad, especially if the item has been stored away tightly rolled up. That happened even to the floor of my Bibler expedition tent - the very best one can buy. All the upper part is a proprietary three-layer Goretex. But the floor is urethane sealed nylon because they don't want that portion breathable at all. I used auto rubbing compound to polish off the old coating, then resealed it; really a headache, but the classic original version of these tents are hard to acquire and last sold for over $750 (for a one-man tent). I wouldn't go to that fuss with a Harrison, but I always use a thin secondary poly liner inside them anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    Harrison has always been the best. The Achilles heel of any tent-like fabric, whether a film tent or camping tent, is that the urethane coatings on nylon or cordura fabric eventually go bad, especially if the item has been stored away tightly rolled up. That happened even to the floor of my Bibler expedition tent - the very best one can buy. All the upper part is a proprietary three-layer Goretex. But the floor is urethane sealed nylon because they don't want that portion breathable at all. I used auto rubbing compound to polish off the old coating, then resealed it; really a headache, but the classic original version of these tents are hard to acquire and last sold for over $750 (for a one-man tent). I wouldn't go to that fuss with a Harrison, but I always use a thin secondary poly liner inside them anyway.
    Harrison's instruction are not to roll up tight and put the tent in the case they furnish for it but to keep it folded lightly and not rolled up which is what I do at home. I guess the case is for when you travel or hike with it. But once you get home, take it out of the case and leave it loosely folded.

I have a Harrison that turned into mush. Then I found a Shadow box. Really like the Shadow Box, it’s fabric and has interior pockets that I really like.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Photographer

MyHarrison is still going strong after 20+ years. I keep it on a hanger in a garment bag. I’ve always understood that keeping them rolled is the cause of their breakdown. It probably helps to live in a low humidity area.
    Keith Pitman

I have the jumbo version, I keep it set up and keep it up and out of the way, it stays like new. I have gone through two others, rolling them up and putting them in their nifty storage case, they turned to goo. Rolled and kept in the case is the kiss of death, I can’t believe as expensive as these are that the manufacturer hasn’t found a better material to solve this problem. But I guess as long as idiots like me keep purchasing new ones, that may be their sustainable business plan, kind of like the heads on Epson printers.

I have had a Photoflex Changing Room for about 20 years and like the sleeves and roominess. I wouldn't load film in bright daylight with it but room lighting is fine. The pop-up structure folds flat but not compact and it does have a case to protect the silver shell. After use, let it air out if you get sweaty inside.
    The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
    http://www.searing.photography