Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to mount a Schneider 180mm f/5.6 - 58 or 59mm threads?

How to mount a Schneider 180mm f/5.6 - 58 or 59mm threads?

Hello all,

I recently purchased a Schnieder 180mm f/5.6 Componon (which I assume is a 5x7 enlarging lens) that I'd like to experiment with for wet plate work in the studio as a portrait lens.

I'd rather naively assumed it'd be a standard L39 thread mount like the 35mm and 120 enlarging lenses I'd seen before, but naturally the 5x7 lens is quite a bit larger!

Didn't have any luck getting my question answered by Google so thought someone here might know: what size are the threads and what's the most economical way I could mount it? I was thinking using a UV filter of the same size and epoxying it to a lens board with JB Weld, although I'm not sure how well it'd hold up to the weight of the lens.

Re: How to mount a Schneider 180mm f/5.6 - 58 or 59mm threads?

Tin Can

Go to a hardware store and see if you can find suitably sized O-rings to fit snugly over the mounting threads. Two or three will hold pretty securely if there’s room.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Reid

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rjbuzzclick/

If I give up on finding an expensive flange I have resorted to using JB Weld. It works
    Flikr Photos Here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/18134483@N04/

“The secret of getting ahead is getting started.”
    ― Mark Twain

Interesting. The catalogs say that the jes' plain 180 Componon's mount threads are 60 mm x 29 1/13 and that the 180 Componon-S is M39x0.75 or M50x0.75.

Thank you very much for the replies, everybody!

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Unkefer View Post
    If I give up on finding an expensive flange I have resorted to using JB Weld. It works
    It has crossed my mind, but this thing is in really nice shape, it'd be a shame to goop it up...

Quote Originally Posted by rjbuzzclick View Post
    Go to a hardware store and see if you can find suitably sized O-rings to fit snugly over the mounting threads. Two or three will hold pretty securely if there’s room.
    Oh, that's a good idea. If I could get ones that fit snugly enough I could see that working.

Dang, I wish they had the right size, I wouldn't mind paying for an actual retaining ring! It has mine listed as 50mm which it definitely is not.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    Interesting. The catalogs say that the jes' plain 180 Componon's mount threads are 60 mm x 29 1/13 and that the 180 Componon-S is M39x0.75 or M50x0.75.
    I'd believe 60 - I'm using a cloth measuring tape and probably wasn't getting a proper diameter. On playing around with it I'd go with 60. Those imperial threads are probably not going to be fun to find as a filter though, might have to go the O-ring route.

A hose clamp is much more secure than o rings.
    Real cameras are measured in inches...
    Not pixels.

www.photocollective.org

Quote Originally Posted by dsphotog View Post
    A hose clamp is much more secure than o rings.
    Had considered a ziptie but there is not a lot of thread to grab on to unfortunately.

Drew Wiley

I have some pure silicone thin weatherstripping material that I have made slip rings for filters with; seems to last forever. It's hard to find these days. I once had a full roll of it for sake of my enlarger light gasketing. It doesn't break down over time due to heat or UV like sponge rubber or felt.

If there is a Machine Shop nearby it maybe worth the trip to bring the lens and have them measure it. (thread guage). They will be able to make what you need. Mr. Can's link after you know what the correct thread size is, seems most attractive.