Thread: Ilford SFX200 - Wratten #29 or IR filter?

Ilford SFX200 - Wratten #29 or IR filter?

Looking at some of the InfraRed images I can see possibilities. How does Ilford SFX200 compare to real InfraRed film when used with the deep red Wratten #29 or the Hoya R72 filter?

Idea would be to have a couple of film holders or a film back for the 2 1/4 loaded with it for those occasions when I think a scene would work for me.

If anyone has done some comparisons or can point me to some online I would appreciate it.
    ” Never attribute to inspiration that which can be adequately explained by delusion”.

Re: Ilford SFX200 - Wratten #29 or IR filter?

Quote Originally Posted by Willie View Post
    Looking at some of the InfraRed images I can see possibilities. How does Ilford SFX200 compare to real InfraRed film when used with the deep red Wratten #29 or the Hoya R72 filter?

Idea would be to have a couple of film holders or a film back for the 2 1/4 loaded with it for those occasions when I think a scene would work for me.

If anyone has done some comparisons or can point me to some online I would appreciate it.
    Some years ago I used both Rollei IR400 and SFX with the R72 filter, and although each has a slightly different sensitivity range in the far red spectrum, both behaved very similarly and gave similar results. Some find the SFX to be slightly finer grained, but I can't say I noticed much difference. I believe you could use either of these films interchangeably.

This image was made with SFX/R72:
    https://live.staticflickr.com/8866/1...936f12ca_h.jpg

And this was made with RolleiIR400/R-72:
    https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...4d866ef8_h.jpg

There is no real infrared film anymore, there are only fair-to-decent substitutes.
    I find SFX to be the "weakest" of the currently available IR films, and Rollei IR400 to be the most IR-sensitive.
    A number of other Rollei emulsions are IR-sensitive, but don't show it as much as IR400 does.
    IR400 is also a very high-quality emulsion, very fine-grained and works well as a regular film (without filter).

Filter choice will affect your image dramatically.
    The Red #29 will permit handheld work by allowing faster shutter speeds, but will mostly add contrast to the sky and lighten foliage a little.
    The IR720 filter will slow you down by about 5-6 stops, and render dark dramatic skies, bright white clouds and almost-white foliage.
    Developer (and development) both have minor effects on the final image, but not enough to be able to clearly differentiate one negative from another.

That is great information, Paul...thank you.
    I have been shooting Rollei IR with an R72 at EI 6...in your experience, is exposure for SFX with an R72 similar?

In looking I don't see it in 4x5. When I checked earlier I apparently misread the page I was looking at.

Will check the Rollei and see which might do better for me.
    ” Never attribute to inspiration that which can be adequately explained by delusion”.

Quote Originally Posted by Willie View Post
    In looking I don't see it in 4x5. When I checked earlier I apparently misread the page I was looking at.

Will check the Rollei and see which might do better for me.
    SFX is not available in sheet film sizes. Only the Rollei IR is. If you buy the Rollei IR (which I like A LOT), be aware that its extremely thin, so its easy to mistake 2 sheets for a single sheet.

Quote Originally Posted by Dugan View Post
    That is great information, Paul...thank you.
    I have been shooting Rollei IR with an R72 at EI 6...in your experience, is exposure for SFX with an R72 similar?
    Its been a few years since I used SFX, but my recollection is that with an R-72 filter, it could be rated at between 8 and 12ASA, depending on time of year and atmospheric conditions. In other words, its 1/2 to 1 stop faster than the Rollei film, in my experience. It appears most of my example photos made on SFX were exposed at 10ASA but I always bracket half stops and pick the best exposure.

Thanks, Paul!

Paul - coming from using Tmax 100 and 400 sheet film to Rollei IR400 has been quite the change in loading film. It is so thin!