Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wobbly Ries Tripod Head

Wobbly Ries Tripod Head

I have a Wisner 11x14 camera that I usually mount on my Ries outfit.

I noticed that when everything is locked down my camera still tilts left to right.

Are there nuts tighten the head further to prevent this?

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Re: Wobbly Ries Tripod Head

Which Ries head?

A-250

Looking at mine, I don't see many places where there could be a problem.
    1.) Check the hex head screw on the side near the front of the head that tightens the clamp around the axle which runs front to back.
    2.) Try to check for any play in the axle running left-right for the up/down tilt. There are acorn nuts (aka cap nuts) on both ends that make it so I can't see the holes this axle runs through. If the holes are too large the axle might move.

Good luck.

Nuts-wise you are referring to those that can be tightened using a hex key?

Might want to contact the company. When I bought my tripod head from them all those years ago they were extremely helpful and even did some custom adaptations of an existing Gitzo tripod for me. Good people, good products.

Are you able to ascertain where the wobble originates ? is the camera tight on the head plate ?head to the tripod crown ? I'll take a look at mine, but having hard time figuring out why you're having side wobbles. A Korona 7x17 usually sits on the A250 head.
    notch codes ? I only use one film...

The wobble is coming from the side tilt function of the A250 head. Where the forward tilt is secure when locked down, the side/left-right tilt has a wobble or play even when locked when my 11x14 camera is mounted.

Foamer

Quote Originally Posted by jurgenestanislao View Post
    The wobble is coming from the side tilt function of the A250 head. Where the forward tilt is secure when locked down, the side/left-right tilt has a wobble or play even when locked when my 11x14 camera is mounted.

I would email Ries about it and see if they will fix it.

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!

ok, just looked at my A250 and I can only see a couple of places that could cause the sloppiness, if the side tilt lever is tight. If you take the head off the tripod, there are four Allen bolts (no idea what size) on the bottom that secure the two sections of the head (top and bottom, let's say). If these are loose, they *might* cause the business part of the head from being secured to the base plate of the head properly. On the front part of the head at the bottom, is another Allen bolt.A loose bolt here, again, *might* be a potential problem source.

The beauty of the Ries heads is the simplicity in how they, lock so hopefully you'll be able to figure this out, and as suggested, an email or call to Ries might find results.
    notch codes ? I only use one film...