Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wobbly Ries Tripod Head

Re: Wobbly Ries Tripod Head

I shld clarify - do you mean the camera can still tilt side to side such as when you're setting up your shot, or do you mean it just feels loose and wobbly ?
    notch codes ? I only use one film...

Funny -- I noticed the same thing this past week while in Yosemite (a slightly lighter 11x14 on same head/pod). I decided that I since I had to rock the camera back and forth to get it to wobble, it would not wobble on its own. But I'll keep my eye on it.

If I am in a situation where it worries me too much, I'll use the tripod without the head!

Edit -- I just checked the bolts that hold the 'cradle' of the head to its base. All tight, but did get a slight turn on one...probably not enough to change anything.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Are the legs secure to the crown?

The Ries legs mount via bolts which tighten the sides of the upper leg to the attachment point of the crown (the flat top casting of the tripod onto which the head is mounted).
    If the nuts securing the leg become loose (as they tend to over time), that will induce a "wobble" into the whole arrangement. And it can be very frustrating. If your Ries is modern, it should be less of a problem. The vintage Ries tripods I've had seem to suffer from this issue more than modern ones I've had.
    If you over-tighten those nuts, it will make leg movement difficult. Use discretion, not lubricant!
    Otherwise, do as others have suggested and contact Ries. Under earlier management they were amazingly responsive. I don't know how good they'll be under current management. But give them a try, for sure. After you check all connections. :-)
    Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    Funny -- I noticed the same thing this past week while in Yosemite (a slightly lighter 11x14 on same head/pod). I decided that I since I had to rock the camera back and forth to get it to wobble, it would not wobble on its own. But I'll keep my eye on it.

If I am in a situation where it worries me too much, I'll use the tripod without the head!
    LOL! Sometimes No head is better than one!!

Quote Originally Posted by William Whitaker View Post
    LOL! Sometimes No head is better than one!!
    I always tease Drew Wiley about not using his head! Myself, I always use my head. Well, at least on my tripod.

Drew prefers his Ries without a head. I like my double tilt head.