Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: New Computer Time...

Re: New Computer Time...

Quote Originally Posted by Michael R View Post
    I’m not a “computer guy” so I feel like I’m being tricked.
    What's a "computer guy?"

I have no formal training in IT. My parents bought a computer when I was a youngster and I learned to do some very basic coding in BASIC just for fun when I was about 12. Built my first PC at 15, and made a career out of AV with heavy usage of audiovisual software like the Adobe suite ever since and used to do a lot of consulting and occasionally custom computer builds for others. Whilst I wasn't born yet, I hear that many folks used to develop film at home back in the mid 20th century just because it was cheaper and convenient, even if they weren't "photographers." You don't have to be steeped in IT and professional computing to understand what you want or need from a computer system.

Sorry, I've always been bothered by that term/label. It evokes the derogatory "nerd" or "geek" labels bandied about in my youth. Of course these days those monikers are often badges of pride for some. Personally, I just want good computing power at a value price, so I learned how to build them for that reason - not because I cared all that much about it.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

PC 'pun intended' is computer person

making a computer from 'bits' is also
    Tin Can

If buying an Apple, you'd be a fool not to get the extended warranty / care thing.. Otherwise you're looking at a 90 day warranty on new hardware which is absurd. Furthermore, the newest ones are generally unrepairable, so if you have a non-software problem at year one, it's a paperweight otherwise. If you don't like the mouse or keyboard, you can use pretty much any mouse (and adjust sensitivity) or keyboard of your choosing. I've always thought a one-button mouse was sort of an insult of the buyer's intelligence; like you can't handle two or three buttons?

The Mini tends to be a good deal, and you could easily sell it after two years and get most of your money back, like a toyota truck if it's not to your liking.

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    What's a "computer guy?"

I have no formal training in IT. My parents bought a computer when I was a youngster and I learned to do some very basic coding in BASIC just for fun when I was about 12. Built my first PC at 15, and made a career out of AV with heavy usage of audiovisual software like the Adobe suite ever since and used to do a lot of consulting and occasionally custom computer builds for others. Whilst I wasn't born yet, I hear that many folks used to develop film at home back in the mid 20th century just because it was cheaper and convenient, even if they weren't "photographers." You don't have to be steeped in IT and professional computing to understand what you want or need from a computer system.

Sorry, I've always been bothered by that term/label. It evokes the derogatory "nerd" or "geek" labels bandied about in my youth. Of course these days those monikers are often badges of pride for some. Personally, I just want good computing power at a value price, so I learned how to build them for that reason - not because I cared all that much about it.
    You may be experiencing some sort of PTSD. Nine times out of 10 that and the related terms are terms of endearment that indicate respect and admiration.

Sorry about that. I didn't mean anything derogatory at all. I only meant that I really know little more than zero about home computer tech/hardware. I just used "computer guy" to mean someone who has an interest in home computing and/or the knowledge/skill with which to make relatively informed decisions etc.

I'm beginning to get a basic understanding of certain things such as printers, but when it comes to the actual brain of the machine (processors, memory etc. etc.) I'm way behind the curve.

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    What's a "computer guy?"

If you're interested, a lot of folks make how-to guides on PC building. The internal components listed can make things much easier to understand. Building a computer, especially one that isn't a monster, is relatively easy, with 90% of the important components being just the motherboard, CPU, and RAM. Those 3 items need to be compatible, and the spec sheets tell you what is and isn't compatible. After that, you get a case to put them in, a power supply, hard drive, and maybe a graphics card if you are doing gaming or serious video rendering, and you're just about done.

There's also companies out there that build a computer for $75. You pick the parts and pay retail, and they put it all together, and guarantee they all work together. It's really not all that difficult, but $75 isn't all that much money either for a custom build.

A lot of folks also simply find a local person to do this. I have seen adverts on craigslist for this.

I'm a big advocate for building your own!

I added good stuff to my current box, years ago, I bought rather bare

Changed RAM to 32 gb max possible
    Installed a good video card, it has 2 fans
    SSD 1/2 gig for OS
    Moved the standard platter to storage

I could just clean and improve this box, it's blowing dust again, needs vacuuming

Sound has failed

My Brother Laser Printer Scanner still works great since 2008

My V700 scanner still chugging

I do know these gadgets fail, just like we do
    Tin Can

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

It’s old enough to justify replacement. I had a PC from 2008 until earlier this year. I’ll never wait that long again to update. It still met my basic computing needs and nothing had failed but had became a maintenance headache.

BTw, I stayed with PC and my wife went Mac. Me, a desktop; her, a laptop. We are both equally happy.

My current build was done in 2013 IIRC. Upgraded the SSD once, otherwise nothing. I overbuilt, for video editing 6+ cameras @ full HD resolution which was my main income back then. Total cost at the time, $1100, plus I already had a good monitor.

To be fair, it was a tax write-off. I tend to upgrade every 5-7 years, so I am overdue, but Intel really didn't do much innovation in the past 10 years and now AMD just cleaned their clock. I've stepped back from video production / editing, so will probably build cheaper this time.

Just ordered an iMac 24 in such an odd config, it is a month out

Prime day was $50 cheaper, but not in my config

What really swayed me, is how good the built in microphones, speakers, display are on all new Apple devices

I have been recording bird song with my iPod SE2, all my microphones and my digi recorder are junk now

It will be very good at Zoom and more

I am hoping the Mac Trackpad helps my right hand

I once had to left hand mouse for a year, PITA
    Tin Can