Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: New Computer Time...

Re: New Computer Time...

Randy - may be too late, but from what I understand from reviews and such, the Mac Mini is the computer to get. Add monitor to taste. YMMV.

If it were me I'd get the latest Lenovo laptop, small one, if I wanted portability. My Surface Book, 1st gen, purchased 2016 is still running as new. Gorgeous machine, though lagging behind in power now. Moore's Law - can't escape it.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

I rejected 'computers' age 15, 1965. I was in a HS that had computer club, not a class. The damn thing was a gift from the 50's, it filled a spare classroom, lots of tubes.

It ran on punch cards that we entered with a punch! Took hours, then we fed the monster, which shuffled them for a while, whirling and clacking. 10 minutes later it had done simple addition. I could do that in my head. Ridiculous!

I also skipped the worthless early Macs, 1985. Junk that is now worth oodles to collectors.

Times are speeding up...
    Tin Can

Not too late.

I considered the mac Mini, they are finally very good, but to add a monitor as good as the 4.5K Mac adds cash and then I would go 2 system keeping my WIN tower running, with a switch, been there

I need simple in my dotage, nearly 71 and I feel it

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    Randy - may be too late, but from what I understand from reviews and such, the Mac Mini is the computer to get. Add monitor to taste. YMMV.

If it were me I'd get the latest Lenovo laptop, small one, if I wanted portability. My Surface Book, 1st gen, purchased 2016 is still running as new. Gorgeous machine, though lagging behind in power now. Moore's Law - can't escape it.
    Tin Can

I have built almost every computer I have owned for the last twenty years (about 10 of them). Latest one about two years ago. ASUS motherboard can support 64 GB of memory. SSD drives on the motherboard. TB of backup storage. Windows 10 Pro. I still use Photoshop CS5, since my newest DSLR is the Nikon D800, which is supported. I use the computer for photography needs, and computer programming. I also built another box that has a Linux server (that I created myself) to act as a firewall. Everything goes through that before it hits the internet. I have over 30 years in IT as a computer programmer / systems analyst, but also database and hardware. So, I work both in Windows, and Linux.

The point is, you can do a lot with Intel hardware, if you know what you are doing. You do not have to pay the premium that Apple requires. Although, they do have some good hardware and software. And, I do have two of their older Intel Mac Mini's.

Apple would really have something with the various m1 options and mini if it could take more ram...I understand it is supposedly more efficient with ram, but I can easily eat up more memory than it has doing some panoramas or hdr'ing some bracketed photos together. I have 32gb in my Windows/AMD ryzen system and that's comfortable.

I really like having a separate monitor for purposes of choice and environmental benefit.. If an Imac part fails, toss the whole things, screen and all.. The mini, you could keep your monitor if you like to change computers regularly. Or keep the computer and move to a bigger monitor if eyesight deteriorates or you envy a friend's monitor.

I have no problem using Windows 10 where software requires it (such as photoshop/lightroom or business apps) but i'd rather have a linux workstation for general internet/productivity uses (think of it as a chromebook with more features and no restrictions).

I built my first computer in 1982. It was a Heathkit with a Z-80 chip, CP/M operating system, and a pair of 5 1/4 floppies. I have built all of my machines with the exception of a Dell laptop (not terribly impressive). I'm looking forward to the Retina display, although if I'm really going to get serious, then a second monitor along the likes of a BenQ may be in order. I've heard good things about the Eizo, although pricy. I've spent a good part of today removing the "detritus" that has built up over the years on my current PC. When I create the virtual machine on the iMac, it looks like I will just bring over Win10 and locally install just a handful of apps. Quickbooks and tax prep software (I'm a recovering CPA). The rest will run just fine on the iMac.

It is not just the hardware - does your choice of software run on the OS of the new machine? Can you transfer any licenses? Will you have the old system around for an overlap period? Can you bring old files into whatever new backup/archive system you choose with the new system? Do you have experience of the new environment, or do you need to allow some transition time? Are there any critical peripherals that you need with the new system? Don't forget to get the most extended warranty you can!

There are a lot of hidden costs in doing a transition, both in money and time. Ultimately only you can make the choice.

I got a new PC last summer, for photo editing in Lightroom and video editing in Resolve. (I'm a Windows person, without being tribal about it.) I thought about building it myself, but reckoned the cost of paying someone else to select the parts that worked together, assemble and test it was well worth it to me. So I bought one off ebay, made to order with a few changes from a standard recipe: AMD Ryzen 9 board with RTX2080 GPU, plenty of memory and SSD storage.

I went to pick it up from a couple of hundred miles away. I expected to meet a teenager earning himself some money in his parents' garden shed. Turned out to be a senior NHS consultant building computers as a mental distraction after night shifts on the covid wards. An interesting encounter!

As I have not YET ordered a new computer, I am wavering a bit on Mac

I hate the mouse and reversal of closing 'X' between the competing interfaces. WHY DAMN FOOLS!

The only software I will need to transfer is Vuescan, Photoshop, Office Libre

I see Adobe is working on M1

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb...e-silicon.html

Brian, maybe I hedge and buy a Mac Mini to try it with my 2 matching monitors, both from the dark ages of 2013
    Tin Can

Since I don’t need portability I like the idea of the Mac Mini so that I can use a different monitor, big (ie non laptop keyboard) etc. Tough decisions though. I’m not a “computer guy” so I feel like I’m being tricked.

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    As I have not YET ordered a new computer, I am wavering a bit on Mac

I hate the mouse and reversal of closing 'X' between the competing interfaces. WHY DAMN FOOLS!

The only software I will need to transfer is Vuescan, Photoshop, Office Libre

I see Adobe is working on M1

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb...e-silicon.html

Brian, maybe I hedge and buy a Mac Mini to try it with my 2 matching monitors, both from the dark ages of 2013