Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New Computer Time...

New Computer Time...

I last brought this up 2013, that WIN 10 tower is hot and aging, my screen exhales heat, Pro Art 23" same age

I am tired of Win and trust Mr Apple more, love my iPhone SE2 and iPad 5

I will add external SSD

Apple M1 Chip
    8-Core CPU
    8-Core GPU256GB Storage
    256GB storageš
    8GB unified memory
    24-inch 4.5K Retina display˛
    Two Thunderbolt / USB 4 ports
    Two USB 3 ports
    Gigabit Ethernet
    Magic Keyboard with Touch ID

ONE LONG MONTH DELIVERY!
    Tin Can

Re: New Computer Time...

I too am sick of Windows. Unlike earlier versions,10 wants to update right when I am in the middle of an important project. I keep having to fiddle with it. BTW, I also have an MSCIS, so hopefully I don't screw things up too bad. Right now I have a 27-inch iMac sitting in the living room, waiting to be unboxed. I'm really looking forward to the 5K display, and more importantly, the fact that everything is there and it just works, period. I do have a 4 TB outboard drive for storage in addition.

If you have an X86 machine, the type that usually runs Windows, try downloading the new Linux distro Ubuntu Studio. You can burn a boot CD or create a boot flash drive. Boot from it without installing. It will run a little slower than if installed on a hard drive, but if you like what you see, then you can install and even keep Windows in a separate partition, making your choice at boot time. You may not need a new computer once you see how much faster it runs on Linux. Also includes software for dozens of older scanners, including SCSI types.
    https://ubuntustudio.org/

As soon as computer parts become more properly available I will be building a new computer. AMD this time, first time since AMD64 platform, built when I was about 15 - my first build. My needs extend far beyond photography, which doesn't even need much power comparatively.

I won't touch Apple, for various reasons, save for the old Mac G4 to run the scanner. Good luck.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Apple is too expensive with too many hassles, I don't want to waste time on Windows 10 spyware - so have installed some Linux variants (Lubuntu and Ubuntu) on a couple of machines to try out, it's impressive. Free, fast and stable.

Yes many like to hack their own box

No thanks

My iPhone does everything already, very well

The bigger iPod 5 can travel anywhere

but for home and I am home 99% of MY time, the tiny screens ARE a problem

the new iMac is basically a stationary phone, like olden times!

AND I can SEE details

When I end up in a bed on wheels with a food table, the iMac may fit on the table

I do remember how crappy the first iMacs were, my father bought one, then gave up computing...RIP
    Tin Can

IMacs can be very nice, convenient machines. But, I'm partial to external monitors.

You mentioned that your monitor is giving off heat, is it a CRT?

Back to external monitors, I want the color gamut, bit-depth, and the look-up table that a graphics quality monitor is capable of delivering. I'm not sure about gamut, but Apple monitors that I've had are limited in bit-depth to only 8 bits.

I’m in the market as well. I need the whole deal though as I have never actually owned a computer, so I need a the computer, monitor, printer, scanner. I’m basically settled on Mac. I keep waffling on whether or not to get the Eizo monitor is like to have.

The question is, have you used a computer often?

I went through a long learning curve starting 1996

I spent plenty on them, they all break or go obsolete

I had all PC, one 2010 Mac Air 11" laptop, it failed during an update. just locked up, I still have it, worthless now

My first fun computer was 1999 Sony Vaio C1 series

It had features way ahead of anything else. Worked fine, had a swivel camera front and back, firewire so my Sony Video camera could be edited. I took college course on video editing on Mac, the Sony Vaio matching tower blew them away.

New iMac looks really good to me!
    Tin Can

Aside from typical PC crap for work (spreadsheets etc.), nope. I have used the iPad a lot recently teaching myself some cad/design software but I would prefer to do that on a Mac. At the same time, I decided in mid-2020-pandemic that I wanted to begin the journey into “hybrid” photographic processes (finally) as an addition to darkroom. Earlier this year I started down the Photoshop path. Lots and lots to learn and practice but it’s exciting.

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    The question is, have you used a computer often?

I went through a long learning curve starting 1996

I spent plenty on them, they all break or go obsolete

I had all PC, one 2010 Mac Air 11" laptop, it failed during an update. just locked up, I still have it, worthless now

My first fun computer was 1999 Sony Vaio C1 series

It had features way ahead of anything else. Worked fine, had a swivel camera front and back, firewire so my Sony Video camera could be edited. I took college course on video editing on Mac, the Sony Vaio matching tower blew them away.

New iMac looks really good to me!