Thanks

It’s a tool

I buy tools for purpose at hand

I have another tool coming sooner

Quote Originally Posted by Michael R View Post
    Congrats!
    Tin Can

Re: New Computer Time...

This is *not* a good time to be building a PC.

Component prices have jumped in the past 12 months, stocks are low, and video cards are going for ridiculous prices.

Not building a PC, waiting on new iMac

I will take my Win 10 box offline and fix it's problems

This box has lasted years longer than 8 predecessors

don't forget most of us have only owned computers 25 years or less

Quote Originally Posted by grat View Post
    This is *not* a good time to be building a PC.

Component prices have jumped in the past 12 months, stocks are low, and video cards are going for ridiculous prices.
    Tin Can

Got my 'extra' and necessary 2 Mac adapter cables

I do dislike the Mac cable game

only 33 days till the new thing shows up...
    Tin Can

Update

Had it for a while now, I am very slow on a Mac as I try to adjust to the interface

I only used one Mac 11 years ago and forgot everything, getting there

Got Adobe going today

Love the screen and the nearly no heat output, I am using my HOT old PC right now, it radiates heat

Next I dupe image data

Very glad I bought the trackpad, Magic mouse and the cordless keyboard.

The trackpad is painless, no mouse ever is
    Tin Can

“ The trackpad is painless, no mouse ever is”

I used a Logitech trackball for several years. Had one in the office and another at home.
    Thought they were the best thing ever made. Then I developed carpal tunnel syndrome in the hand that used the trackball.
    Surgery took care of my carpal tunnel problem and file 13 took care of the track balls.
    Now I use the track pads on the MacBooks and iPads and the MagicMouse on the iMac.

Someone asked what a "Computer guy is. I think it's someone like me. Started programming for pay in 1959, worked for IBM designing operating systems and computer languages. At one point I had 14 systems stacked up at home - Win/Mac/Linux. Now down to 8, including a 16 core 64GB screamer and a dual processor 12 core rack server. And in between doctor visits and hospital stays, which seems to be my main line of work as I approach 81, I'm developing an AI application for monitoring sensor arrays that will run on a network of Raspberry Pi's and Arduino's.

And wasting film.

Good for you! When I was a young pup, my father took my on a tour of Teleregister in Stamford Connecticut in the late 50s. In the back they were hand wiring looms on racks for the "diode valves". This eventually became SABRE, which was the first automated airline registration system. Those were the days. I built my first computer in 1982 - a Heathkit with a Z-80 processor and a 5 1/4' floppy. For a printer, I had a surplus Centronics 9-pin. Sucker weighed close to 100 pounds. A spreadsheet that I would create to take up a full page of 13" greenbar would blow out the ram on the computer. We've come a long way baby!!

Quote Originally Posted by PoulsboJeff View Post
    Good for you! When I was a young pup, my father took my on a tour of Teleregister in Stamford Connecticut in the late 50s. In the back they were hand wiring looms on racks for the "diode valves". This eventually became SABRE, which was the first automated airline registration system. Those were the days. I built my first computer in 1982 - a Heathkit with a Z-80 processor and a 5 1/4' floppy. For a printer, I had a surplus Centronics 9-pin. Sucker weighed close to 100 pounds. A spreadsheet that I would create to take up a full page of 13" greenbar would blow out the ram on the computer. We've come a long way baby!!
    Interesting that you mentioned SABRE. I spent 8 years working in the IBM Industry Marketing group that was responsible for sales to IBM's airline customers. I was primarily responsible for developing a queuing theory model of the application. Since there were only a few customers, I had the model parametrized for each airline down to details of how file space was allocated on disk as well as the distribution of specific agent activities. The model had over 2000 variables and over 900 functions and also utilized a graphic output device (in 1978) to output charts anticipated CPU and storage loads as a function of reservation volumes and hardware configurations. The airline used the model to do capacity planning and to understand the impact on agent response time as a function of CPU and storage configurations. I also worked with the storage system and CPU development divisions to develop custom hardware modifications to support anticipated transaction rates. Great fun. I was on a plane 3 or four days a week visiting customers in the US and Europe. I remember one bug that took the entire United Airline reservation system down two or three times a day. Challenging!!! But we made them happy!!!