Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: New Computer Time...

Re: New Computer Time...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Andrada View Post
    Someone asked what a "Computer guy is. I think it's someone like me. Started programming for pay in 1959, worked for IBM designing operating systems and computer languages. At one point I had 14 systems stacked up at home - Win/Mac/Linux. Now down to 8, including a 16 core 64GB screamer and a dual processor 12 core rack server. And in between doctor visits and hospital stays, which seems to be my main line of work as I approach 81, I'm developing an AI application for monitoring sensor arrays that will run on a network of Raspberry Pi's and Arduino's.

And wasting film.
    VERY COOL!
    I remember programming in high school with punch cards. Not as far back as '59, it was '80. I did at one point have a ton of computers at home. I'm so over it. Now it's all VM. And I just use whatever my work gives me has "hand me downs". Still, as I'm typing this, I have a 4K HDMI TESmart port with 4 computers on it. TOO much. I'm actually an IBM APP server admin. I love going to the IBM website for support. It's like "sit down, have coffee, and a snack, cause it'll be a long time to find something on that website". I have to admit, that Websphere Application Server is dang solid.
    --

Speaking of new computers, or at least computer parts, I just got 3 new hard drives in the mail. One 6 terabyte, two 4 terabyte. I am upgrading my server to a bigger parity drive and additional storage - should have 20 TB when I finish, expandable to 36 TB if I buy enough 6 TB drives.

LF and ULF scans can get big!
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    Speaking of new computers, or at least computer parts, I just got 3 new hard drives in the mail. One 6 terabyte, two 4 terabyte. I am upgrading my server to a bigger parity drive and additional storage - should have 20 TB when I finish, expandable to 36 TB if I buy enough 6 TB drives.

LF and ULF scans can get big!
    DANG!!!

You will get a lot of "tips" from other people in IT, but I'm sure you will not get enough of "you are only as good as your last backup"
    --

I just found a 'lost' backup, as I move those Bigbits around

I am NOT a computer whiz

UOTE=ericantonio;1611912]DANG!!!

You will get a lot of "tips" from other people in IT, but I'm sure you will not get enough of "you are only as good as your last backup"[/QUOTE]
    Tin Can

Yeah, I have files dating back to when I was in middle school because I am a bit of a data hoarder. Building a server for file storage/backup has been helpful on a couple occasions, but I'm at 99% capacity right now (haven't backed up about two months of work due to this issue). I have an 8 TB "work drive" for all finished image, video, and sound files, while RAW images, scans, and other work files go to the server.

I also have raw "binary data" backups of entire HDD images, including my Mac G4 HDD that runs my scanner. So I can use my PC to build a fresh and clean "install" of the entire Mac OS and all software and have it running/scanning in about an hour if a HDD dies (which has happened twice).
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    Yeah, I have files dating back to when I was in middle school because I am a bit of a data hoarder. Building a server for file storage/backup has been helpful on a couple occasions, but I'm at 99% capacity right now (haven't backed up about two months of work due to this issue). I have an 8 TB "work drive" for all finished image, video, and sound files, while RAW images, scans, and other work files go to the server.

I also have raw "binary data" backups of entire HDD images, including my Mac G4 HDD that runs my scanner. So I can use my PC to build a fresh and clean "install" of the entire Mac OS and all software and have it running/scanning in about an hour if a HDD dies (which has happened twice).
    OUTSTANDING!!! That's a lot of files! My garage has a rack full of negative binders. I've been through 2 fires near me here in SoCal, and both times I looked at that rack while bolting out with my car and thought to myself "welp, it's only "things"".
    --

Funny thing, bugs. I used to work with an engineer from Grumman who was on the LEM team for Apollo. One bug that they could never figure out was with the lunar decent engine. If they needed a burn of less than four seconds, the engine would not shut off. Soooo, out come the Pickett slide rules. To no avail. They simply had to make sure that any burn was at least four seconds or more. Sounds like your work was a precursor to AI, or an interesting thought process for LISP. Ya gotta love data serialization on disk read/writes. When I was chem major in college long ago and far away, during the evening chem labs someone would take the TA's Fortran cards and "shuffle the deck". Teach him to leave is project lying about with over-caffeinated chemistry geeks.

Quote Originally Posted by PoulsboJeff View Post
    When I was chem major in college long ago and far away, during the evening chem labs someone would take the TA's Fortran cards and "shuffle the deck". Teach him to leave is project lying about with over-caffeinated chemistry geeks.
    That (and in case you drop the deck) is why you should draw a diagonal line across the edge of the deck with a marker. You can then see at a glance if the cards are out of order.

Bob (who just spent a day copying data off some 40-year-old Osborne I disks I still have, which contain a whole 83 KILOBYTES of data each)

The first computer I encountered was a huge room full of heat, 1965

Some Thing gave the school the 50's monster, it was offered as after school Hobby

We hand punched, Punch Cards, then waited impatiently for the results of math so simple I could do it in my head

I quit the Club, next up was very early Mac, that fascinated my brother

No way useable for ME

1997 I decided a personal computer could be a way to waste a lot of money, so I jumped

LF is far cheaper, at least the gear does not lose value and I always like old stuff, old computers are very b$d landfill
    Tin Can

Last night added iPad 6

It is an upgrade from 5 and I think I can use the new one as screen for video camera shoots

I could have traded in my 5 for 1/2 OE price, but nooooo

I now believe jump on the wagon asap

no time to waste
    Tin Can