Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rare lens maybe only exists in catalog

Re: Rare lens maybe only exists in catalog

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Unkefer View Post
    I saw a Hypergon wrapped in plastic behind the counter at Midwest Photo[/url]
    When I was a student in the 1970s, I stopped by a Photo store in Bridgeport, CT. FS were 210 and 300 Apo-Lanthars in shutters and in like new condition. Next to them was an unusual lens which at the time I couldn't identify. Looked like a round marble with a "propeller" in front of it. Went back about a year later to buy the Apo-Lanthars but they were gone. That round marble like lens with the propeller was still there, but I had no idea what it was. Years later learned about Hypergons, but by that time the store was closed and gone.

In the 1980s and into the 1990s, I was using a Rollei SL-66 system. Acquired a Novoflex 500mm f/5.6? lens which had a rear adapter for my SL-66. Focus via the SL-66 body's bellows. All OEM Novoflex but never mentioned in any of the Novoflex literature that I had at the time.

Didn't Kiffit Kilar make a 200mm f/2 lens that covered 6x6 (or 6x7). Have only seen one FS. Remember reading that only a handful (5) were ever made.

I have a 42cm Imagon in a shutter. I've never seen another or even a catalogue listing for one. It could be unique?
    Photography:first utterance. Sir John Herschel, 14 March 1839 at the Royal Society. "...Photography or the application of the Chemical rays of light to the purpose of pictorial representation,..".

Quote Originally Posted by cuypers1807 View Post
    How about a lens I can't find in any catalog? Sadly not mine:
    Interesting. Where did you encounter it?

There are three Imagon 420mm on eBay. They are not in shutters.

Quote Originally Posted by Maris Rusis View Post

I have a 42cm Imagon in a shutter. I've never seen another or even a catalogue listing for one. It could be unique?
    what kind of shutter is that? Do you know what it's maximum aperture size (in mm) is? I'm curious if an aerial lens could be mounted in it

Imagon focal lengths of 360mm, 420mm and 480mm are made pre WW-II.

The 360mm was intended to be short focal length for 8x10.

420mm being the most often used for 8x10 with 480mm being longest for 8x10 and usable on 11x14.

It is possible that 420mm Imagon in shutter was installed into a shutter from barrel at some point in it's life as there is no
    Rodenstock catalog listing I've seen for a 420mm Imagon in shutter. Imagon focal lengths of 420mm are not common,
    the 480mm is rare, this 420mm in shutter could be a one-off.

Before the Imagon, they were Jmagon, often with six disc with fixed disc that do not close like the later Imagon.
    The hole close-able disc allows tailoring of the Imagon Sorta-Focus effect to what the image maker would perfer.

Here is 300mm six disc Jmagon that came out of Europe eBay years ago when few were interested in these sorta-focus lenses.
    Previously discussed: https://www.largeformatphotography.i...ghlight=jmagon
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jmagon & Box.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	132.0 KB 
ID:	216983

Sample image:

Name:	300mm 7.7 Imagon NC, bench.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	52.5 KB 
ID:	216984

The "set-up":

Name:	5x7 Sinar C, LA, SF camera position.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	99.9 KB 
ID:	216985

Bernice

KEH had a 420 Imagon

now they don't
    Tin Can

I have a 420 Imagon mounted on a forward mounted Sinar Norma board. So I use it with Sinar Norma shutters.
    Flikr Photos Here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/18134483@N04/

“The secret of getting ahead is getting started.”
    ― Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Unkefer View Post
    I have a 420 Imagon mounted on a forward mounted Sinar Norma board. So I use it with Sinar Norma shutters.
    Does that combo allow the wide open 420 aperture to be unobstructed?

I have my 420 coming and have Sinar shutter
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Ethan View Post
    what kind of shutter is that? Do you know what it's maximum aperture size (in mm) is? I'm curious if an aerial lens could be mounted in it
    The shutter is a Zettor with a maximum opening of about 87mm. A far as I know they haven't been made for a long time. The shutter has three modes: open for focussing, closed with a "B" mode actuated by a cable release, and "instant" with the speed depending on how forcefully the cable release is pushed. The cable release needs a long throw with the first 24mm of travel to open the shutter blades plus an extra 1mm to let them trip back to the closed position when in "instant" mode
    Photography:first utterance. Sir John Herschel, 14 March 1839 at the Royal Society. "...Photography or the application of the Chemical rays of light to the purpose of pictorial representation,..".