Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Rare lens maybe only exists in catalog

Re: Rare lens maybe only exists in catalog

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    Does that combo allow the wide open 420 aperture to be unobstructed?

I have my 420 coming and have Sinar shutter

Sinar Norma 420mm Rodenstock Imagon Homemade Board by Nokton48, on Flickr

Here's my 420mm Rodenstock Imagon. My Clockmaker friend made the homemade "forward mounting with the appropriate spacing, looks like held together with JB Weld. This is a big lightweight lens; the flange is bigger than the board itself. The Norma Shutter diameter is about 84mm across. The rear cell on this Big Baby is about 94mm across. So the rear cell diameter is bigger than the Norma Shutter diameter.I've used this for 8x10 B&W headshots and it is outstanding. Wish I had more than just the H5.8-H7.7 disk. I'd like to have some custom 3D printed. That would be a real service.

Might just be me but I've never seen anything on a 480mm Imagon.
    Flikr Photos Here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/18134483@N04/

“The secret of getting ahead is getting started.”
    ― Mark Twain

Good to know, thank you

Mine, if I keep it, will be installed on wood 8X8", which will adapt to bigger metal lensboards

I definitely will use Packard shutter large enough to not block magic light

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Unkefer View Post
    Sinar Norma 420mm Rodenstock Imagon Homemade Board by Nokton48, on Flickr

Here's my 420mm Rodenstock Imagon. My Clockmaker friend made the homemade "forward mounting with the appropriate spacing, looks like held together with JB Weld. This is a big lightweight lens; the flange is bigger than the board itself. The Norma Shutter diameter is about 84mm across. The rear cell on this Big Baby is about 94mm across. So the rear cell diameter is bigger than the Norma Shutter diameter.I've used this for 8x10 B&W headshots and it is outstanding. Wish I had more than just the H5.8-H7.7 disk. I'd like to have some custom 3D printed. That would be a real service.

Might just be me but I've never seen anything on a 480mm Imagon.
    Tin Can

My 480 is on a Cambo board which in turn fits on a 12 inch Packard shutter fabrication, here shown with a Cooke on it.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	boyes 009.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	44.3 KB 
ID:	217019

I’m curious to know if anyone has a 20” f/5 Vitax.

Wollensak added this lens to their catalog in 1923, along with a “Vitax extension lens.” The extension lens is a front cell which interchanges with the original on a 16” Vitax to produce a 20” focal length. While I know of at least two existing Vitax extension lenses (mine and I believe Mark Sawyer’s), I have never seen the factory-original #7 20” Vitax. The 1973 Wollensak bankruptcy auction catalog included one 20” Vitax.

(Shrek)

About 18 months ago I bought a lens from a forum member. Hugo Meyer double plasmat 240mm f4, it was on my want list for a while. Slightly larger than my 240mm f4.5 Xenar, as expected. I put it on a shelf and forgot about it because I've been dealing with a death in the family and a new member of our household in a wheelchair. Finally this week I mounted it on my 4x5 and gave it a whirl. Unexpectedly, it did not focus at 240 mm. It focused at 105mm. Entrance pupil: 52mm. Calculated: f2.

I can't find it at the moment, but I read somewhere in the Lens Vade Mecum (?) that Meyer had promised to make an f2 version of their f4 Plasmat but that no examples had ever been seen. Or possibly someone has put the wrong rear element on my lens and it just happens to work out to f2. The front element says 240mm f4, the rear has no writing. It does cover 4x5 at infinity, but very very soft. I need to develop a couple of shots and try out the individual elements to see what gives. Does anyone have an actual 240mm f4 Meyer plasmat that you could post a photo of? There are a couple examples of this lens on eBay that look significantly different than mine.

Arca-Swiss

How about the 2 lenses used for the Mammoth camera? 8x4.5 foot format circa 1900

One lens was 5.5 feet in focal length, and a wide angle to boot. And they also had a 10 foot plus lens for the camera.
    “The Mammoth Camera of George R. Lawrence”. Here is a drop box link.
    Has pictures: https://www.dropbox.com/s/93o7o3r4ft...80%9D.pdf?dl=0

Enjoy.

There was also in digital the 120mm Apo-Digitar ASPH. It came out and they announced the 100mm. put it in the catalogs etc. NO lenses....
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Rod Klukas
    US Representative
    Arca-Swiss USA
    480-755-3364
    www.arca-swiss-usa.com

Several years ago i missed a chance to buy one on a KMV. The combo was only$350, but i had just spent all my cash on other things. I have wished it had been different ever since.