Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 37

Thread: Rare lens maybe only exists in catalog

  1. #1

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    961

    Rare lens maybe only exists in catalog

    Some of those rare lens, appear maybe once in a very long time.
    For example, Fujinon A 1200mm. I have seen two copies. One in midwest photo about 15 years ago, the other at my friend's collection.
    Fujinon SW 300mm. Once I thought this was one of those lens that only exists in the catalog, until I saw one for sale (or link for sale) in one of the posts here.

    But some lens I have only seen them in the catalogs.
    Hypergon 200mm. I have never seen a photo of such a lens.

    What are other mysterious lens maybe only exists in catalogs?

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Collinsville, CT USA
    Posts
    1,918

    Re: Rare lens maybe only exists in catalog

    RE: Hypergon 200mm. I possibly saw one once FS by an auction house.
    1. Though it could have been a 150mm. It definitely was larger than a 120mm.
    2. More importantly the lens had only one element... was missing the other, plus no fan.

    One lens that I have never come across was a No. 8 10" GRAY's Extreme Angle Periscope that is said to converter 20x24. I have a No 5 5.9" that Grimes amazingly mounted inside a Copal shutter. Covers 11x14 with a little movement possible. Lens line also included a No. 6 7.1" for 14x17 and a No. 7 8.4" for 16x20. I have seen the barrel mounts with their rotating apertures FS but in both cases the glass was missing - Educated guess is that the optics were remounted in a shutter.

  3. #3
    ic-racer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    6,075

    Re: Rare lens maybe only exists in catalog

    I don't think the Rollei 35mm rectilinear lens for 6x6 cameras ever materialized.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-06-19 at 9.27.25 PM.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	44.1 KB 
ID:	216826

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    557

    Re: Rare lens maybe only exists in catalog

    The Komura 33mm f4.5 fish-eye for 4x5 definitely exists in the catalog, maybe not in the outside world.

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Location
    Western Massachusetts, USA
    Posts
    263

    Re: Rare lens maybe only exists in catalog

    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Ewins View Post
    The Komura 33mm f4.5 fish-eye for 4x5 definitely exists in the catalog, maybe not in the outside world.
    For lenses like that, even if none sold (which would be too bad, that lens sounds fun) I’d assume the manufacturer made production samples which must exist somewhere

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Collinsville, CT USA
    Posts
    1,918

    Re: Rare lens maybe only exists in catalog

    Quote Originally Posted by Ethan View Post
    For lenses like that, even if none sold (which would be too bad, that lens sounds fun) I’d assume the manufacturer made production samples which must exist somewhere
    First hand info: A friend of mine was a photographer in the US Navy. He told me that quite a number of exotic lenses were specced out by them and prototypes made by major manufactures. After the lenses were tested out, very few were put into production for them. The prototypes that were not put into production were literally crushed in the base's parking lot.

    Second hand info: On the other hand, early on in the space program, exotic lenses made for NASA were eventually sold as government surplus. In the 1990s I was able to acquire a super fast prototype made by Zeiss for very little money. Eventually I donated it to a Museum.

  7. #7
    LF/ULF Carbon Printer Jim Fitzgerald's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Vancouver Washington
    Posts
    3,850

    Re: Rare lens maybe only exists in catalog

    I don't think I've ever seen a Hermagis Eidoscope # 0. I have the #1, 2, and 5.

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    8,178

    Re: Rare lens maybe only exists in catalog

    Little known, but it ought to be the holy grail of ultra ultra large format. Lacour-Berthiot's #14 800/14 Ser. VIa Perigraphe, claimed coverage 120 x 160 "at small apertures." That's a 2 meter circle. "Small aperture" seems to mean f/25 and smaller.

  9. #9

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    1,690

    Re: Rare lens maybe only exists in catalog

    How about some lenses not even in catalog?

    1. Kodak wide field ektar 18 inch F/6.3
    2. Schneider Aero-Xenotar 460mm F/4.5

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    961

    Re: Rare lens maybe only exists in catalog

    The Hypergon in the auction house could be a 150mm. I have seen a few 150mm Hypergon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    RE: Hypergon 200mm. I possibly saw one once FS by an auction house.
    1. Though it could have been a 150mm. It definitely was larger than a 120mm.
    2. More importantly the lens had only one element... was missing the other, plus no fan.

    One lens that I have never come across was a No. 8 10" GRAY's Extreme Angle Periscope that is said to converter 20x24. I have a No 5 5.9" that Grimes amazingly mounted inside a Copal shutter. Covers 11x14 with a little movement possible. Lens line also included a No. 6 7.1" for 14x17 and a No. 7 8.4" for 16x20. I have seen the barrel mounts with their rotating apertures FS but in both cases the glass was missing - Educated guess is that the optics were remounted in a shutter.

Similar Threads

  1. A camera that no longer exists, perhaps?
    By Steven Tribe in forum Cameras & Camera Accessories
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-Aug-2016, 05:26
  2. Where to get Arca Swiss catalog (other than B&H catalog)
    By Sergey Zhupanov in forum Resources
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 4-Apr-1999, 21:58

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •