Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bolts in an Envelope

Re: Bolts in an Envelope

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Noel View Post
    I get small bolts, nuts and screws from MicroFasteners.com . The price is right and service rapid.
    The same here. They have a great selection too.
    Brass is a metal alloy, not a lens type - MichaelE

https://www.flickr.com/photos/jacketch/

Drew Wiley

I won't buy any kind of fastener made in China. They vary from between mediocre to so utterly useless that they seem like an alloy of butter and old chewing gum wrappers. I've had mountains of experience with fasteners, and have sold an amazing variety too for all kinds of professional applications.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    I won't buy any kind of fastener made in China. They vary from between mediocre to so utterly useless that they seem like an alloy of butter and old chewing gum wrappers. I've had mountains of experience with fasteners, and have sold an amazing variety too for all kinds of professional applications.
    Given the amount of fraud that occurs as to identifying the country of origin, good luck with your boycott of Chinese-made screws, bolts and nuts! <sigh>
    JG

More of my photos can be seen at my photo-blog here: https://audiidudii.aminus3.com/

Bolt mfg is hard to know

I tested bolts for years professionally

Primarily the new stretch to angle bolts, which have become common, in automotive

We used 3 MTS 100K Load Frames to stretch to failure, meaning, they broke with a loud snap, ww needed safety protocols, ignore them and die

We did accurate and repeatable test runs, of load and stretch. On all new suppliers

Also used a MTS Rock, Concrete 1,000K huge machine, hidden inside an old building on Northwestern Evanston Campus

That thing was hard to find before Internet
    Tin Can

Drew Wiley

Audii - with experience, it's pretty darn easy to spot the outsourced stuff. All kinds of symptoms both on the item appearance and its packaging, as well as by mode of distribution. Of course, if it breaks or strips in two seconds, that's another clue. But strictly dealing with reputable distributors is an even easier route. Real industrial suppliers aren't going to risk their reputation on any tom-foolery.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    Audii - with experience, it's pretty darn easy to spot the outsourced stuff. All kinds of symptoms both on the item appearance and its packaging, as well as by mode of distribution. Of course, if it breaks or strips in two seconds, that's another clue. But strictly dealing with reputable distributors is an even easier route. Real industrial suppliers aren't going to risk their reputation on any tom-foolery.
    All of what you wrote is true, to be sure.

But as a practical matter, it's also irrelevant when one is buying a handful of M1.6 or M2 screws at retail or sight unseen online.

The best one can do is buy a few extras, just in case, inspect them carefully before use, then cross one's fingers. <shrug>
    JG

More of my photos can be seen at my photo-blog here: https://audiidudii.aminus3.com/

seriously? all this concern over a tiny camera screw that has nearly no load, has to meet gov spec? its not a space mission camera... its a 60 year old junkyard fixer upper camera tc is repairing.

hahaha try reading " made in china" on that tiny screw?

boy, you guys complicate the hell out of everything..

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Ron View Post
    boy, you guys complicate the hell out of everything..
    Some of us do this, but not all of us!
    JG

I don't think that is something to order online. Take your camera to the nearest shop and they should have the solution.

Quote Originally Posted by zuk_jadoon View Post
    I don't think that is something to order online. Take your camera to the nearest shop and they should have the solution.
    They very likely sell you a new camera because they have no idea, let alone tools and pieces to repair a camera that is older than they are.
    Expert in non-working solutions.