Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Strange black blur spots on 4x5 320 Trix

Re: Strange black blur spots on 4x5 320 Trix

Quote Originally Posted by lab black View Post
    If you are using a developer that you have mixed from powder, consider filtering the developer before use. A funnel and a coffee filter can be used.
    I will do it with xtol lab black, thx

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Poole View Post
    Using a filter? I have seen similar with dust on filter and small aperture.
    No, i’m not using a filter, and from 6 sheets developed at same time, its irregular on every sheet
    Thx

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

I would guess dust on the film before exposure. Clean in side the camera, film holders, keep film holders in antistatic bags or atleast ziplock bags.

Thanks! I'll do it next time.
    I attach another picture with more detail.
    :-)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	329_2021_DeltaClima-02.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	50.9 KB 
ID:	216844

Quote Originally Posted by jp View Post
    I would guess dust on the film before exposure. Clean in side the camera, film holders, keep film holders in antistatic bags or atleast ziplock bags.

I am also having problems with Tri-X 320, but on 5x7. I recognize the vignetting and the bellows light leak here...

But there are these small black spots all over. I can't figure out what is causing this.
    I clean my holders thoroughly every time I load film. I'm using a clean camera and modern glass. This was processed in D-76 1:1 in a Patterson Tank on 20th Century Camera reel.

Any suggestions for what is going on here? Thank you community!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kenwood-Line-2021-08-4025-S-Vincennes-crop-100.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	20.7 KB 
ID:	219233Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kenwood-Line-2021-08-4025-S-Vincennes.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	62.0 KB 
ID:	219234

FWIW, even with blowing out the film holders before loading, I was still troubled by this problem occasionally until I started to blow off the film after it was slipped into the holder and just before I closed the dark slide. How the dust got on the film I don't know, but I haven't had a black spot on a print since I began doing that.

BTW do you load film in a darkroom, or in a loading tent (or bag)? I've used a loading tent and usually gotten away with it, but I can't imagine how you can really ensure there is no dust in them when you're working.
    Where are we going?
    And why are we in this handbasket?

www.josephoharaphotography.com

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Klein View Post
    As an aside, I'm new to 4x5 and have trouble getting my fingers all over the film when I insert it into the holder and remove it. Gloves don't work for me. I do wash my hands very clean before doing this and dry them well to eliminate skin oils and sweat. Will inadvertently touching the film cause any issues?
    I've never seen any issues from it. Film doesn't have to be sterile or semiconductor fab clean, or we'd all be in a lot of trouble. Developers are usually so alkaline that any oily stuff on the film is going to be happy to float off and get suspended as soon as it gets wet.
    Where are we going?
    And why are we in this handbasket?

www.josephoharaphotography.com

Quote Originally Posted by Joe O'Hara View Post
    FWIW, even with blowing out the film holders before loading, I was still troubled by this problem occasionally until I started to blow off the film after it was slipped into the holder and just before I closed the dark slide. How the dust got on the film I don't know, but I haven't had a black spot on a print since I began doing that.

BTW do you load film in a darkroom, or in a loading tent (or bag)? I've used a loading tent and usually gotten away with it, but I can't imagine how you can really ensure there is no dust in them when you're working.
    I was shooting with another pro outdoors and noticed him blowing off the outer slide with one of those rubber air blowers while holder was inverted so new dust could be dislodged and fall off before shot... I started doing this, and it helped... The crud does not spin in the air when slide is pulled and land on film while in camera...

Some cameras get filthy with dust inside, so occasional vacuuming with a shop vac (with a dry wall dust filter bag) cleans camera, holders, cases etc well..

Treating slides with anti-static spray does not attract and hold dust on outside slide... And those anti-static bags for holders also help...

Steve K

This info is worth a lot to me, thanks! I usually load in a changing bag, so I have no good way to blow air after the holder is loaded with film. I will try loading a holder in the community darkroom (not in a bag), blow it after it’s loaded, and try again. Thanks for the tip!

Quote Originally Posted by LabRat View Post
    I was shooting with another pro outdoors and noticed him blowing off the outer slide with one of those rubber air blowers while holder was inverted so new dust could be dislodged and fall off before shot... I started doing this, and it helped... The crud does not spin in the air when slide is pulled and land on film while in camera...

Some cameras get filthy with dust inside, so occasional vacuuming with a shop vac (with a dry wall dust filter bag) cleans camera, holders, cases etc well..

Treating slides with anti-static spray does not attract and hold dust on outside slide... And those anti-static bags for holders also help...

Steve K
    More good advice, thank you!