Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: JOBO ATL 3 or a CPP

JOBO ATL 3 or a CPP

Hello everyone.

First I just wanted to say how much I appreciate this forum. Its fantastic!

Anyway. Ive got a question. Im soon moving to a city where the last professional Lab closed 5-6 years ago. So I will not be able to develop any 4x5 Negatives anymore. And sending photos by mail is out of the question since when working professional, a failed delivery is very very bad...

So I thought I would try to get my hands on a CPP2 or 3. But now I stumbled over a nice ATL 3000 machine. Since there is less information about them online, then the semi automatic CPP machines I need some knowledge.

I work full time professional with 4x5s and develop batches of 15-30 4x5 Kodak negs C-41, so ruffly 1000 sheets / year. So far Ive only used professional services for this, but as said, I cant anymore.

Has any one here been working with the ATLs. Is it a machine you have at home and actually understand. It looks a bit scary to use...
    If I buy one, what should I check?
    Whats the price level of a ATL 3?
    Would you recommend it over the CPP?

For me its nice with a fully automatic system, but I'm just worried that its to complicated to keep clean and service and understand. There is times when Ive got nothing to develop for several months. Will it function like this? Ive got enough space, and water connections and so on in my new studio.

Ohh, that became a long post. But any experiments with the ATL3 would be appreciated.

Best regards
    -----------------
    4x5 and 6x6 stuff

Re: JOBO ATL 3 or a CPP

Or should I maybe aim for a ATL 1000 or similar?
    -----------------
    4x5 and 6x6 stuff

I can't really speak towards a ATL3000 from any personal experience. However they are huge and pretty complicated. It will likely be pretty difficult to maintain, assuming you can get one that is already running well. Finding parts could be an issue as well. If you are doing around 1000 sheets a year I understand the temptation, but I would look at it from a reliability perspective. A good CPP2 is reliable and provides consistent results and if there is a problem you can still get parts for it. A CPP3 would probably worth considering seeing as you are doing so much volume and being new it should be the most reliable option.

-Joshua

First, agree with everything Joshua said. I guess part of the decision will come down the max size film you plan to process. The ATL 1000 can handle everything up to 4x5 which, for me, wouldn't work as I shoot a lot of 8x10. My CPP2, though, handles 8x10 easily in an Expert Drum; and, all the other size down, of course. Personally, I recommend a good used CPP2 (w/lift) or, if budget your budget allows, a CPP3. If you go the CPP2 route, try to get a later serial number as these had a stronger motor.

The advantage of a Jobo ATL is that you don't have to stand by it to operate each step. You fill the chemistry bottles, attach the Tank, press Start and walk away. The disadvantage is that if it breaks down, unless it's a simple part that you can remove and install yourself, you most likely will need to ship it to someone to fix it (CatLabs in the USA, Jobo in the EU).

I have an ATL-1500 that sits unused since I got an ATL-2300 that can accommodate the Expert Drums and I am very satisfied with it. It had seen little use before I bought it and so far no problems. The only minus for me is that it takes up a considerable of space.

In the EU I have a CPP-2 and I noticed that I wait until I have a lot of negatives before I develop them because I need to set aside the time it will take to develop.
    Just a few things to consider, based on your needs, preferences and habits.

I have owned every Jobo rotary (almost) when I was running film each day I used Alt 2300 - they have a life span and replacing the arm is a major cost.... Today I use the new alt CPP3 and this machine I use totally manual and I love it.
    For production its good to walk away but an old unit I would not trust , so I stand by the machine and operate it manually with just the water bath tank full and a grey lab off to the side.

Yes, the reliability is surly a factor to consider. 4x5 is my max, so the table top version should work.

but maybe its worth spending the money on a new CPP3. just to avoid any future problems.

Thanks for the input so far.

Quote Originally Posted by bob carnie View Post
    By the way Bob. You webpage link in the footer links to a spam webpage.. or maybe its my computer.
    -----------------
    4x5 and 6x6 stuff

Quote Originally Posted by norly View Post
    By the way Bob. You webpage link in the footer links to a spam webpage.. or maybe its my computer.
    Nope, mine too..

Hi.The CPP3 is a new machine,the power is enough for 4x5 processing.ATL 3 is old enough.If you need to replace rubber seals, you can take them from Mersedes.If the"brains" burned down,there is nowhere to get them,only from another equally old ATL.

As someone that was repairing Jobo processors prior to the restructuring of Jobo's business I'd say buy a new CPP3 if you can afford it and if someone actually supports them. Otherwise I would investigate doing something like a small dip and dunk line with Nitrogen burst. Not a machine per say but heated temp controlled tanks with hangers because all said and done you'll get far more controlled results. I have a number of Jobo machines and the Expert drums/ CPP2 and ATL3. After I got my Epson P8000 Ive only been shooting Digital for the last few years. Ive been working on setting up a small machine shop so I may return to film photography before too long.
    "Great things are accomplished by talented people who believe they will
    accomplish them."
    Warren G. Bennis

www.gbphotoworks.com