Thread: Hello from Columbia Tennessee

Hello from Columbia Tennessee

My wife and I moved from San Diego to Columbia last year to be closer to family. We love the new area, but unfortunately covid took down the last of the camera stores in Middle Tennessee (I didn't realize how spoiled I was in San Diego to have three stores within a 20 minute drive). This has pushed me to look for film/photography communities elsewhere. I did find a local Facebook group recently and now that I'm vaccinated I look forward to meeting up with them. I also found Large Format Photography Forum and I'm so glad to be here!

I stumbled back into film after about 15 years of digital and decided to jump in the deep end of the developing tank after learning LF is still thriving throughout different corners of the world. I plan to start with 4x5 (still saving my money) and I'm excited to see where that goes. I think what fascinates me most about photography is that you will never know ALL there is to know about it (but I'm up for the challenge). I love learning about every aspect of the subject and the resources in this forum are incredible. I hope to one day contribute something of value to the community here. If you're in Middle TN, don't be a stranger and I'll see the rest of you in the threads

Drew

PS - If anyone here has found the cure for GAS, please let me know.

Re: Hello from Columbia Tennessee

Hope you like mules.

The Frist up in Nashville often has some interesting exhibits pass through, and photography over at MTSU seems to be a going concern. Otherwise, you're in some pretty country if you're into landscapes--back toward the Shiloh National Battlefield, the Buffalo River in Wayne County, and it's not far back into the Cumberland Plateau from where you're at. (Though coming from SD, I imagine you might need to acclimatize to the humidity before strapping on too big of a pack.)

At any rate, I'm just starting to apprentice myself over here in Knoxville, but know the country pretty well--feel free to give a shout if you have some specific destinations in mind.

Welcome

I am about 250 miles west by road

I am inside with AC, I need it
    Tin Can

Thank you so much CreationBear for the tips! I'm trying to get out more and explore the area but the humidity has arrived and I am NOT used to it yet, haha. You're 100% right about the landscape though, it's amazing. I recently discovered just how common waterfall hiking trails are throughout the state and I'm slowly hiking them as I can. I hope to have a 4x5 by fall and trek out east a few hours for the colors. Coming from perpetual spring/summer to now having all four seasons is really nice and makes you appreciate the beauty of each one. If I'm ever in Knoxville I'll send a message your way. Do the same if you ever come to Muletown

Excellent, if you're into waterfalls, you might also want to check out the Sipsey Wilderness Area in the Bankhead NF there in North Alabama.

Welcome. You have indeed come to the right forum. It is notable that we have had perhaps a half-dozen folks join here over the past half-year or so who are returning to film from digital, or at least adding it back into their repertoire. And, of course, we have people, old and young, completely new to film, which is exciting as well.

You'll be swimming in friendly developer in the deep end of the tank.
    Last edited by Ulophot; 13-Jun-2021 at 06:56. Reason: Typos
    Philip Ulanowsky

Sine scientia ars nihil est. (Without science/knowledge, art is nothing.)
    www.imagesinsilver.art
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/156933346@N07/

You are in my favorite part of the country. We moved to San Diego from Columbia in 1961 because of work. Prior to that we lived in Nashville where I grew up.
    As far as I am concerned, you are in photographic heaven. There are thousands of photo ops, there are thousands in Tennessee, plus Northern areas of Alabama and Georgia. As far as phot stores, there are non in San Diego worthy of notice. You are only about 30 minutes from Nashville, and the last I knew there were still 2 or 3 goof old time stores.
    Enjoy your life there.

Lascassas, TN

I second checking into MTSU Photography Dept. and their Baldwin Photographic Gallery. (https://baldwinphotogallery.com/) ( https://www.facebook.com/BaldwinPhotoGallery/) A hidden gem is their archive which includes the works of notable artists such as Ansel Adams, Minor White, and Jerry Uelsmann. I started taking a Large Format class and after 10 years and earning a degree I still take classes.
    Bill Kumpf

I was through that area a month or so ago, including three days in Columbia for a wedding (spent all my time biking and socializing). On the way to Nashville we stopped by Burgess Falls State Park, and the features there are spectacular. I'd love to spend a day (or three) there in rainy, overcast weather. there are both large and small falls and cascades. That would seem to be a semi-reasonable day trip from Columbia.